they fired the band

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/seth-meyers-late-night-8g-band-budget-cuts-1236034409/

the sign of the times.
First shows cut out the mix engineer with production automation, now they are cutting out the band. If the show has a separate mixer for the band, they get the ax too.
Budgets are constantly getting smaller, things are constantly getting more expensive, more and more entertainment people are getting the job ax.
When it's all going to end or change up?

They anounced here the other day here womens jobs will be disproportionately affected by the AI taking over ,
theres also growing rumbles of discontent about how social media is effecting especially childrens mental health .
but its coming from the medical people who prescribe dangerous and addictive chemicals to anyone who wants them , its the pot calling the kettle black as far as I can see .

They anounced here the other day here womens jobs will be disproportionately affected by the AI taking over ,
theres also growing rumbles of discontent about how social media is effecting especially childrens mental health .
but its coming from the medical people who prescribe dangerous and addictive chemicals to anyone who wants them , its the pot calling the kettle black as far as I can see .
Well I wasn’t referencing ai. Production automation is literally remote control of a desk. I set up enough of those over the years. Some person in master control or a production control room controls the desk. It works when you have static inputs for like the nightly news. But it did eliminate the mix engineer for such shows.
Replacing the band over budget is not a good look. But hey a static sound track, again production calls over budget.

It just seems all this ai stuff is being used for art giving us more time for laundry and chores. I would prefer it be the other way around so I have more time for art.

Last edited:
I have worked at a prime time live television show for 13 years.
We had a different band every day.

After 10 years they skipped the music, as they noticed it was the point people started zapping away from the show.

Dugan automix is always asisting live broadcasts on the lavalier mic group, it is really helpfull, I can't imagine it mixing a band though...

No matter how much automix is going on, there's always two soundengineers, 1 on the floor, mixing for the audience and one in the booth, mixing the broadcast.

Tubetec

I apologise if I come across as a smart Alec. But it is "affecting". Even BBC makes the same error.

AI is just another thing that is going to f*** up our lives. Yes, it has its benefits in other areas and if we could only limit the use of it.

I have worked at a prime time live television show for 13 years.
We had a different band every day.

After 10 years they skipped the music, as they noticed it was the point people started zapping away from the show.

Dugan automix is always asisting live broadcasts on the lavalier mic group, it is really helpfull, I can't imagine it mixing a band though...

No matter how much automix is going on, there's always two soundengineers, 1 on the floor, mixing for the audience and one in the booth, mixing the broadcast.
Ah yes the Dugan automix and the imitations. Great kit.
My buddy worked Warner for ages on those stages where they film TV. Amazing how much of that is going away.

It’s amazing they did not cut the whole show. It’s got to be tough watching viewership decline in a time slot that has no where to go but down in a streaming world. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here with AI generated content.

Ah yes the Dugan automix and the imitations. Great kit.
The Dugan gain sharing patent expired right around the time I was tasked with developing an automatic mixer for Peavey. I decided to delay the Peavey SKU one year to avoid infringement. During the development I visited Dan Dugan in his booth at a trade show and asked him why we should license the technology from him. I was really hoping for a convincing answer because the Dugan name would be nice to use in marketing. His answer went something like "only he knew how to do it right". That was not the way to discourage me. ;)
My buddy worked Warner for ages on those stages where they film TV. Amazing how much of that is going away.
Dugan gain sharing and such automatic mixers are basically useful for conference tables with lots of open mics, not optimal for mixing musical performances.

JR

The Dugan gain sharing patent expired right around the time I was tasked with developing an automatic mixer for Peavey. I decided to delay the Peavey SKU one year to avoid infringement. During the development I visited Dan Dugan in his booth at a trade show and asked him why we should license the technology from him. I was really hoping for a convincing answer because the Dugan name would be nice to use in marketing. His answer went something like "only he knew how to do it right". That was not the way to discourage me. ;)

Dugan gain sharing and such automatic mixers are basically useful for conference tables with lots of open mics, not optimal for mixing musical performances.

JR
That and broadcast 👍

Latest posts

Back