Titantic...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the "consensus" is that a carbon fiber shell was highly likely to be a bad idea, based on the totality of the evidence, even though a couple of dives worked in isolated cases? That we should have paid attention to the "domain experts" that do this sort of thing for a living, and discounted the naysayers...I mean "visionaries"...who thought they could buck the status quo and re-educate everyone as to what was really going to happen?

Sounds like the "consensus" is that a carbon fiber shell was highly likely to be a bad idea, based on the totality of the evidence, even though a couple of dives worked in isolated cases? That we should have paid attention to the "domain experts" that do this sort of thing for a living, and discounted the naysayers...I mean "visionaries"...who thought they could buck the status quo and re-educate everyone as to what was really going to happen?
Vessel did several dives, started delaminating c.2108 or 2019. CF was either replaced or "repaired" and then the thing made 6 dives to the Titanic in 2021, 7 in 2022, then a few aborted dives in 2023 followed by the implosion. I'd imagine the investigation will look at criminal liability based on poor engineering, design, and operations.

There are several videos about the craft (including at least one showing the initial CF layers being wound), it's problems, and Mr. Rush' rash/careless attitude. Also various correspondence and the lawsuit against one of the "50 year old white guys" warning about the various design and construction defects. Whatever is left of Oceangate is going to be sued.

I heard a mention on the news that the FBI is investigating this with assistance from the Canadian government.

Unclear what is left to investigate.

JR
What jurisdiction would they have here?
I ask as I have not heard that and can’t think of what roll they would play.
I agree that not much left to investigate.

What jurisdiction would they have here?
I ask as I have not heard that and can’t think of what roll they would play.
I agree that not much left to investigate.
Fraudulent claims of competence, perhaps. The company is based in Washington state, so even though the accident occured outside the US and all of the passengers/crew except Rush were foreign nationals the FBI has jurisdiction, at least for certain potential crimes.

WWW said:
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard says it has likely recovered human remains from the wreckage of the Titan submersible and is bringing the evidence back to the United States. The submersible imploded last week, killing all five people on board. The vessel was on a voyage see the wreck of the Titanic.

The return of the Titan debris to port in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador on Wednesday is a key piece of the investigation into why the submersible imploded. Twisted chunks of the 22-foot submersible were unloaded at a Canadian Coast Guard pier.

The U.S. Coast Guard said late Wednesday it had recovered debris and evidence from the sea floor and that included what it described as presumed human remains.

Thankfully no pictures of the "presumed human remians".

article

JR

Here is the footage of the debris recovery, no human remains in the video either (thankfully). The glass window is missing from one end cap.

Back