TL783 becoming obsolete??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Just received a Lifecycle Change Notification from Mouser for the TL783 high voltage regulator. The reason given is "end of life". Fortunately they have over 9,000 in stock so get your lifetime supply while you can.

Cheers

Ian

Does that part have a sole manufacturer. I often get EOL notices but where a part number is manufactured by several sources.
I am not sure. Several months ago they were in short supply and selling for silly money on eBay. Then suddenly there were plenty of them so I assumed it was just a Covid issue.

Edit: But, I just checked all the major distributors and they all stock ones made by TI so perhaps it is single sourced.

Cheers

Ian

I am not sure. Several months ago they were in short supply and selling for silly money on eBay. Then suddenly there were plenty of them so I assumed it was just a Covid issue.

Edit: But, I just checked all the major distributors and they all stock ones made by TI so perhaps it is single sourced.

Cheers

Ian
I just bought some from Digi-Key this week and they had stock. That said, I just looked again and they are listed as "Last time buy"...so best do as Ian says and stock up. Or retire...

You can piggy back a HV transistor in front of it on a 12 volt zener sitting on the output of any regulator chip and get many more volts out of it. It's in the application notes. I used a TL783 with darlington mpsa42/Tip 50 in front to bring 500 volts down to 350 regulated. Not the quietest so I followed that with opamp buffers to bring it down to 335 quiet volts.

My NYAL Moscode Minuet has that circuit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 7.06.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 7.06.06 PM.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
So I haven't posted on here since 2018 and found this thread after looking at the BOM for MNats Variable + Phantom power supply board. I'm not ready yet because I don't know enough yet but having successfully built Lola and a blue stripe at the end of 2017/early '18 (and generally studying/self-educating since), I want to build an 1108 mic pre one day, which is why I was looking at that power supply board....

Forgive the naiveté of this question but if either the 317 and/or 78 are unobtainium by the time I get to the build, are there plenty of other options for power supplies? The fact that I'm asking that question probably indicates I'm not yet ready for the build. I'm well aware that but still want to get there someday.

Mouser no longer has tons of LM317HV (actually, 0, with a lead-time out into July). The non TI (TME) equivalent referenced earlier in this thread also now appears to be unavailable. But it looks like Mouser still has 1800 TL783s in stock at the moment, with an "End Of Life" notice on the listing.

So I haven't posted on here since 2018 and found this thread after looking at the BOM for MNats Variable + Phantom power supply board. I'm not ready yet because I don't know enough yet but having successfully built Lola and a blue stripe at the end of 2017/early '18 (and generally studying/self-educating since), I want to build an 1108 mic pre one day, which is why I was looking at that power supply board....

Forgive the naiveté of this question but if either the 317 and/or 78 are unobtainium by the time I get to the build, are there plenty of other options for power supplies? The fact that I'm asking that question probably indicates I'm not yet ready for the build. I'm well aware that but still want to get there someday.

Mouser no longer has tons of LM317HV (actually, 0, with a lead-time out into July). The non TI (TME) equivalent referenced earlier in this thread also now appears to be unavailable. But it looks like Mouser still has 1800 TL783s in stock at the moment, with an "End Of Life" notice on the listing.
Grab at least a small handful while you can, even if your project is in the future. I did that awhile back, even though I'm getting them for any future service/repair requirements.

Bri

Grab at least a small handful while you can, even if your project is in the future. I did that awhile back, even though I'm getting them for any future service/repair requirements.

Bri
Thanks Brian. Makes sense. I need to hear this sometimes since I'm too much of a nice guy to the point of shooting myself in the foot too often (i.e. rationalizing that other people will need them more than me if I'm not even ready yet).

Not really sure if this is the correct sub-forum to ask such an elementary follow-up in but I don't know where else to ask.

The PSU board (http://mnats.net/adjustable+phantom_power_supply.html) calls for an LM317 as well as TL783 with a TO-220 footprint on both.

When I look on Mouser, I can find the ICs but get confused by the letters/numbers afterwards. For instance, the LM317HV referenced by someone else earlier in this thread is out of stock but the LM317AT is in stock and says "End Of Life." I see a difference in the maximum input voltages when comparing those two. As for the TL783s, the Mouser listing says TL783CKCSE3, but since the datasheet clearly shows "TL783" I assume I'm in the clear to get a handful of those.

Before grabbing a small handful while I can, I'd like to make sure I'm ordering the right ones. I realize these are really basic, elementary questions but didn't know where else to ask!

Latest posts

Back