TLM 67 so beautifull, but nothing inside

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't wanna get me started, but...

how in the fawk  can they suggest there is any resemblance to a classic neumann...

so many of the old guard top o the line manufactures are spewing out crap for the guitar center crowd...

ya'd think they all had been bought by harman.

really if they are gonna do THIS shit,  they should just go outta business.

I wasn't much impressed by a M149 and its PSU at first sight either...

EDIT: PSU was a switching one, a laptop one attached to the PSU board, done deal, again for its price
i was looking for "more", even if it's not rocket science.

QUEEF BAG said:
i don't wanna get me started, but...

how in the fawk  can they suggest there is any resemblance to a classic neumann...

so many of the old guard top o the line manufactures are spewing out crap for the guitar center crowd...

ya'd think they all had been bought by harman.

really if they are gonna do THIS sh*t,  they should just go outta business.

It makes me think the chinese mics are much closer to a classic neumann  :-\

In general SMD technology is often superior. For something like a microphone the inherent miniaturization of SMD seems like an obvious benefit. The only negative correlation with size (besides power dissipation) is some electrical performance issues with very small SMD resistors. But a larger good SMD resistor is still tiny compared to through hole parts. COG/NPO SMD caps are available in larger values these days too.

Get over it, SMD is here to stay and will look huge compared to the next technology that replaces it...  I'm glad that I am old and probably won't have to deal with what comes next.

JR

I like trasformerless mics but the matter is that at that price a good output trasformer can be used without problems. 

They have 'lost sight of the mission'.  What does that mean to each of us?  On the surface it would appear to mean 'recreate the classic 67'.  They don't know what that means.  How many of us do either?  I don't know shit based on 'looks', I haven't heard either.  'We' don't know what this thread is about either, not on any agreed level.  'They' only know it's about moving product.  They never knew what it was then, nor do they now.  Celebrate the mystery; taste will take another 180 before we know it, and we will be out to pasture. 

emrr said:
They have 'lost sight of the mission'.  What does that mean to each of us?  On the surface it would appear to mean 'recreate the classic 67'.  They don't know what that means.  How many of us do either?  I don't know sh*t based on 'looks', I haven't heard either.  'We' don't know what this thread is about either, not on any agreed level.  'They' only know it's about moving product.  They never knew what it was then, nor do they now.  Celebrate the mystery; taste will take another 180 before we know it, and we will be out to pasture.

So is everyone listening with their eyes, or has anyone actually heard this microphone?

-a

Andy Peters said:
desol said:
Because they're puny, and can't be fixed easily.

Sez who?

Seriously. Gimme a pair of tweezers, a stereoscope and a good Metcal and I can do 0603 passives and TSSOPs all day long.

-a

I was just kiddin Andy. ;)

I guess if it sounds good and is very low noise then it does the job. We have a tlm49 in the studio and it is great for some sources, and is built in a similar way.

For me the disappointing thing is seeing all the empty space and comparing it with the ingenious tight packaging and engineering in the older Neumann mics. The mic could be a lot smaller, but market forces dictate that it must look like they always did.

It seems like the form of the mic no longer follows function, and people feel like they are paying for fresh air.

zebra50 said:
I guess if it sounds good and is very low noise then it does the job. We have a tlm49 in the studio and it is great for some sources, and is built in a similar way.

For me the disappointing thing is seeing all the empty space and comparing it with the ingenious tight packaging and engineering in the older Neumann mics. The mic could be a lot smaller, but market forces dictate that it must look like they always did.

It seems like the form of the mic no longer follows function, and people feel like they are paying for fresh air.

I agree with you

Andy Peters said:
So is everyone listening with their eyes, or has anyone actually heard this microphone?

-a

I have this mic, It's a bit harsh and lacks a pleasant low end, but it cuts well thru the mixes. I bought it on a pawn shop and paid U$1300 so it was almost a good deal for the money. It looks great and the clients love to look at.

It was the 1st choice vocal mic for 2 years since I buit the c12 using the kit from chunger  and... poor tlm67.

the neumann is now losing all the shootouts on any source.

TLM67 sucks the big moose.

at least the one I heard did. Harsh, thin, and downright nasty. No redeeming features. Unh Ungh . . . . Maybe it was faulty? But I think not. Just sounded like a mess to me.

YMMV. Sorry, gotta tell it how I see it. (hear it).

Back