TLO-72CN vs TLO-72CP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squarewave said:
Actually I don't know. The datasheet says yes but it looks like boilerplate language. I've never actually used TLV2172. I'm just pointing out that it's the active TI part that looks most like TL072. But in this particular case, AuxTex64 should just use TL072. I don't recommend substituting any other amp there.

I actually didn't recommend him to replace the opamps, when John mentioned the NE553x and TL072 I just said which ones I consider to be their modern counterpart, thats all. Im not a fan of "opamp rolling".

JohnRoberts said:
The only thing I could find wrong with it was the price, and since I am building exactly one of these, I can live with $4 for a dual. 

Thanks it looks like a solid part for my application.

If I was going to sharp pencil this design I would steal a higher voltage PS from the amp modules and use common op amps at higher voltage, but this allows me to KISS and use with same 5V rail.

What are you using it for? To drive a class D amp?

Regarding the LM358, check this datasheet https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/3PEAK-LM358-SR_C93149.pdf the TI datasheet conveniently omits stuff like the SR, BW, and noise ratings

user 37518 said:
What are you using it for? To drive a class D amp?
I have 6 modules of Bruno Putzey's Hypex class d amps. They sound great. They were designed for OEM use so relatively low gain for a power amp (only +12.5dB) and relatively low input impedance (1.8K). They expect the OEM customer to handle the front end with added gain as needed. I have been using these for about a year and they don't suck, but I have been missing out on 8dB of SPL, using an only 1V AC program source.

I am already powering the 5V digital decoder from the 5V power drop coming from the hypex module... powering my bump box from that same 5V drop will be tidy (it has adequate current available).

JR
Regarding the LM358, check this datasheet https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/3PEAK-LM358-SR_C93149.pdf the TI datasheet conveniently omits stuff like the SR, BW, and noise ratings

JohnRoberts said:
I have 6 modules of Bruno Putzey's Hypex class d amps. They sound great. They were designed for OEM use so relatively low gain for a power amp (only +12.5dB) and relatively low input impedance (1.8K). They expect the OEM customer to handle the front end with added gain as needed. I have been using these for about a year and they don't suck, but I have been missing out on 8dB of SPL, using an only 1V AC program source.

I am already powering the 5V digital decoder from the 5V power drop coming from the hypex module... powering my bump box from that same 5V drop will be tidy (it has adequate current available).

JR

I've seen but never tested the Bruno Putsey's Class D amps, but he is the recognized authority on Class D. Are you using them for surround? why do you need 6 of them?

user 37518 said:
I've seen but never tested the Bruno Putsey's Class D amps, but he is the recognized authority on Class D.
Actually he is one of the most mediatized in the HiFi/DIY community, but the real heroes are the designers at Powersoft, Lab Gruppen, Pascal and Samsung (owners of Crown).

abbey road d enfer said:
Actually he is one of the most mediatized in the HiFi/DIY community, but the real heroes are the designers at Powersoft, Lab Gruppen, Pascal and Samsung (owners of Crown).

Abbey, I feel bad for not knowing any of them besides Crown and Samsung.

mhelin said:
Wouldn't the FET input OPA1652 (SOIC only though so needs an adapter) be a good replacement for TL072?

That one looks very nice indeed, cheaper and better spec'ed than the OPA2134

user 37518 said:
I've seen but never tested the Bruno Putsey's Class D amps, but he is the recognized authority on Class D. Are you using them for surround? why do you need 6 of them?
Left front, center, right front, left rear, right rear. Standard 5.1 surround

I have been a student of class D amplifier technology for years. Peavey was selling class D (fire starters) before I joined them in 1985. Later in connection with my managing mixer engineering and even later product management over all products I was intimately aware of Peavey's class D amps.

Without taking this veer too much further, Bruno came up with a novel class D topology. I respect his accomplishment. And his amps sound fine, while running them 8 dB below full scale is not a very rigorous trial (and I'm only loading them with 8 ohms, they're rated for 4 ohm loads).

Apparently opinions vary but Bruno is still listed as a moderator at a design topics forum https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,24.0.html 
I haven't seen him post over there for several years. When he was active he was helpful and very well informed (IMO). I think my last post over there was in 2013.

JR

abbey road d enfer said:
I still respect his Hypex design. He did get sucked into selling "wire" and such accessories, perhaps to compete with snake oil merchants in that market sector.

FWIW IMO the "real" heroes are the guys who design CMOS op amps that drive 600 ohms and spank bipolar from single digit rails. I followed class D technology and the limitation always was the high power switching device technology. That device technology is night and day better today than it was 3 decades ago.

Now there are class D chip sets allowing budget amp makers to deliver high power amps inexpensively. That was the long time promise of class D that it failed to deliver until this century (too late for my commercial benefit).

JR

Latest posts

Back