To Sell or not To Sell

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingston said:
I get the defensiveness now. You really dislike it when someone doesn't agree with your gold nuggets. Not to say I haven't already noticed that from earlier interactions. I thought perhaps you were a competing craftsman or something of that sort, based on how much you devalued the originals posters work.

Dear Kingston,

You are very close to crossing the line of our no.1 rule: No personal attacks.

Jakob E.

ruairioflaherty said:
A competing craftsman? That's just ridiculous.  Is Jonte Knif, Larry Janus or any other craftsman worried about the potential sale of a single one off unit?

Anyone who has been here for any length of time knows that I value this community and I particularly value good designs, hard work and well made equipment.

So you are a competitor? I don't get it. Why would you otherwise compare yourself to these high class designers. Clearly something about analag's works ticked you off in a bad way. $1500 is under the belt. Original design, special transformers, brute force power. Not some clone you compared it to. No new design in any of them. But you knew all this already. That's why I keep wondering if there's something rather important that you didn't say, like a personal grudge or something. Something best left to non-public places.

gyraf said:
You are very close to crossing the line of our no.1 rule: No personal attacks

Just because I'm not actively involved in forum politics since ancient history and also not a personal friend of most moderators doesn't mean I can't point out a strange vendetta here. Or what would you think if someone called your original designs clones and there's no point selling any of it because well, "nobody cares" apparently because you're not worthy.

[edit]

disclaimer, I don't know analag and I'm not interested in the unit. I can roll my own these days. But devaluing craftsmanship and original designs in this forum is not cool. They are too rare already with mostly kits and clones around. Perhaps in some strange dimension only brand recognition carries value anymore. Or is it really the message that you want to send? Don't bother with new design, nobody cares about your ideas since you're not a brand and you're not ever going to amount to anything anyway, go away.

I'll do anything to fight that.

ruairioflaherty said:
You asked whether you should sell it, I answered that the market values branded and authentic copies.
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the insight. Mine is the same topology but not a copy of the antique.
ruairioflaherty said:
Yours is unique and custom and consequently will not be valued highly by the market, if you were Fred Forssell or Dan Kennedy you would have brand recognition.
So brand name equates to sound quality...this is a rather backward ideology.
ruairioflaherty said:
None of this undermines the quality of your unit, I have no idea how it sounds and neither does anyone else.
Here is where you stepped on your tongue...nobody knows how it sounds. By what authority do you make this claim, sir.

I'm not being defensive either. Not only can I blindly follow a schematic, I often design my own, wind my own, roll my own. I looked at the old 670 and said to myself "let's take it up a notch" 
This is a authentic tube compressor, that's my claim. I also claim that it probably has more stopping power than the 670 and all it's clones along switched and variable time constants.  Even the tube regulator in this is more stable than the old 670. And the "thumping" problem is eliminated in this tube compressor. Brand name didn't build this one...I did.

Guess how much I was offered for it, man.

I'd say it's quite true , except for a few people who recognize and are willing to pay for custom
craftsmanship  ,  most others don't believe in the quality of gear that doesn't have 10k of advertising telling them so
and even here where people know the parts cost they don't always want to pay for labor , so
I'd say ruairio is telling it like it is , now
Cj is online to finish an authentic one , shipping would be a drag , or perhaps you could rent it out long term ?

Nice unit Analag sell it if you need the money and if you get a nice price for it OR Keep it and give it your kids later, one of a kind :).

On a side note if i can give my opinion, i'm not taking any part, but i didn't felt like there was some unconstructive opinion coming from "ruairioflaherty", i know a lot of folks that doesn't care about "hand made" and some that does love that statement haha, "most" would prefer to buy brands as they could sell it easier afterwards, people that spend cash on units think of those things, so i understand his statement.
Now they don't know what they are missing sometimes, but hey that's how the world unfortunatly goes on, Commercials, mass product, advertisement etc.. etc..., the clever goes the other route EDIT: OR chooses wisely, imho....
BUT Analag didn't posted on Gearslutz for selling this i guess, so he knows who to propose this ;).

Best of luck, hope you'll get a nice price......lucky that guy.

T.

Kingston said:
ruairioflaherty said:
A competing craftsman? That's just ridiculous.  Is Jonte Knif, Larry Janus or any other craftsman worried about the potential sale of a single one off unit?

Anyone who has been here for any length of time knows that I value this community and I particularly value good designs, hard work and well made equipment.

So you are a competitor? I don't get it. Why would you otherwise compare yourself to these high class designers. Clearly something about analag's works ticked you off in a bad way. $1500 is under the belt. Original design, special transformers, brute force power. Not some clone you compared it to. No new design in any of them. But you knew all this already. That's why I keep wondering if there's something rather important that you didn't say, like a personal grudge or something. Something best left to non-public places.

Of course I'm not a competitor.  You've been here long enough, don't you think that if I was cranking out top class commercial units you'd have noticed?  I post under my real name - here and everywhere else.  I'm not in the same league as the names mentioned or many of the folks here (including Rowan).  There is no way that I'd have the skill to do what he did here but I value it greatly and that's why I'm here - to learn.

There is absolutely no vendetta, public, private or otherwise.  If you can find a single post here where I'm dissing Rowan or the good work of any forum member I'd be surprised.

Also can you not understand my point that no manufacturer small or large would be threatened by the sale of a one off piece.  It will have no effect on their bottom line.  If Rowan started knocking these out for $5k and they began selling well then I'm sure manufacturers would pay attention but a one off?

You seem to have decided that I was dissing Rowan's work, I urge you to reread my original post now that I've explained myself over and over again.  My input was offered to be helpful, not to put down his design skills or build.  I'm involved in selling very high end speaker systems and outboard, I'm involved in advertising of the same - I know something of what the general market desires.  Of course there are outliers who have the insight and skill to value one offs but that is a small pool of people and they don't generally buy - they build.

What I didn't do was blow smoke up Rowan's ass about how amazing his unit is because I haven't heard it, haven't seen the schemo, haven't heard audio, don't know who he really is etc.  I respect him for his contributions here but treated him like a grown up.  Would you rather that I posted "Analag you are awesome, I'm sure you'll get $10K for this"?

There was a prototype on Gearslutz a few years ago, IIRC correctly it was a proto of the Mercury M66 Fairchild clone.  It was hand built by David Bock, a former Ocean Way tech, designer of Bock Microphones, Forum Host etc etc.  That unit was offered for $3K and languished on the forum for a long time, I'm not sure if it ever sold.  I was interested but couldn't raise the funds.

ruairioflaherty said:
analag said:
Guess how much I was offered for it, man.

I hope it was a lot, it clearly took a huge amount of thought and effort.

And money.  I think I'll keep her...one day custom gear will return to the studio and I'll be waiting, I think. Not ;).

Like the smoothest French butter you've ever tasted.  It's a 670 with a significant modification.  Quite clever, really.  When you hit it hard it has that 670 thing for days.  What's interesting is that when you hit it gently, it's almost more transparent than a 670.  Still has the glue but with a unique sound.  When you bypass it, you can't put your finger on what's different at all, but at the same time, the difference is night and day.

I wouldn't know how to put a value on it. 

If you ever need to park it somewhere, I'll gladly hold on to it for you.  In return, I'll do some cosmetic work on it: do a faceplate and get some fancy knobs so that when you do decide to put it up for sale it will have a bit more pop.  I have dreams about that boat anchor....

Yes! someone please get this thread back on the topic. It was starting to read like gearsluts banter. Let's all hold hands now, please?
I find everyone has constructive input, let's not believe we can read through a mere few lines of text to interpret one's mindset...
Isn't it a waste of time?

my 2cts.

I remember reading the few pages of the original build report with awe, to me this compressor is part of the history of this forum and Audio DIY in general. Whatever it's worth moneywise, it's a beauty. Whoever will realise the value of it and make an offer in regards to that will certainly be a worthy new owner. I agree that it will not be your regular sweetwater customer...

PS: Analag, I support the idea of asking someone for another run of the DAOC, it is a brilliant machine and I thank you for bringing it out!

mushy said:
Like the smoothest French butter you've ever tasted.  It's a 670 with a significant modification.  Quite clever, really.  When you hit it hard it has that 670 thing for days.  What's interesting is that when you hit it gently, it's almost more transparent than a 670.  Still has the glue but with a unique sound.  When you bypass it, you can't put your finger on what's different at all, but at the same time, the difference is night and day.

I wouldn't know how to put a value on it. 

If you ever need to park it somewhere, I'll gladly hold on to it for you.  In return, I'll do some cosmetic work on it: do a faceplate and get some fancy knobs so that when you do decide to put it up for sale it will have a bit more pop.  I have dreams about that boat anchor....
And if I decide to park it , I'll let you keep it for awhile. For those of you who don't know, Mushy was the testing engineer at the said NYC group meet.
j.frad said:
I support the idea of asking someone for another run of the DAOC, it is a brilliant machine and I thank you for bringing it out!

I'm cool with the idea and I'll even throw Mulletchuck's request for the DOAC big brother.

Hey Analog! If you are still interested in selling this wonderful unit, I am definitely interested in buying it.

If so, have you come up with a number? How would it be paid for/shipped? That's the difficult thing with these units. They tend to be very fragile and difficult to ship!

All things can be worked out...shipping is quite easy actually. Not so fragile either.

mulletchuck said:
yes, parts of it look like he used a welding torch.

I actually want to learn how to weld, since I'm also into car restoration/modification.

analag said:
mulletchuck said:
yes, parts of it look like he used a welding torch.

I actually want to learn how to weld, since I'm also into car restoration/modification.

Back when I was a teen, I learned how to arc weld. Gas welding seems a little easier as you have more control over rate of heat application. Arc welding is full on or full off. Once you draw the arc it's go time.

Nowadays they have inert gas arc welders, with internal motorized feed wire, instead of fixed consumable welding rods. I ASSume the newer stuff is easier to work on and covers a wider range of base metals. I haven't welded anything in a few decades. When I break stuff nowadays I carry it to a local shop who has all the modern welding equipment. 

Contrary to popular belief welding is not like soldering since welding is literally melting the two pieces of similar metal to each other. Brazing, is more like soldering, were you use a lower melt temperature filler metal, to join metal parts together without actually melting them. Welding is stronger than brazing or soldering. 

For welding sheet metal for car bodywork, we used to use gas welding and make multiple spot welds.  I used arc welding to attach my traction bar mounts to the car frame (to prevent rear wheel hop, when springs wind up and release).

JR

PS: ad hominum is usually evidence of a weak/lost argument.

Latest posts

Back