Top end mic pre - suggest a project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> The 5087 (5089) IIRC was actually called low noise, but in my bench tests back in the day they did not deliver the goods at 150-200 ohm sources.

Yes, I recall these offered as "low noise", but in those days that meant medium impedances. Only kooks would try to get low-low-hiss off a 100 Ohm mike or 10 Ohm needle... that's what transformers are for!

Has a 2dB noise-spec (at 10K or 3K Rs), and a full page of noise curves.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/2N5087-D.PDF

Fig 5 is relevant. No problem getting 1dB above 1K source, but the published data does not suggest low-low noise figure below that. If it is working for Bill, the process has improved but the datasheet lags.

ricardo said:
JohnRoberts said:
I was not aware that Cohen was credited with this topology until several years ago.  I had seen it around well before he published his AES paper.
The difference between Cohen and other stuff using that topology is 0.7nV/rtHz.
FWIW most transformer less mic preamps use a variant on that topology, even the IC versions if we looked inside.
IMHO, it is perhaps the only sensible topology for a practical mike preamp with <1nV/rtHz.  If we define 'Cohen' as something using that topology with <1nV/rtHz, that rules out practically all the DIY copies.  Once you add P48V, protection & RFI stuff, you are struggling to achieve even 1nV/rtHz .. which highlights Millenia'a achievement with this topology.
Achieving NF less than 1 dB IMO is into diminishing returns. Even if you can hear the difference with a dummy input termination, real mics in real rooms will likely swamp that out.
Circuit & topology are only one thing you have to get right for <1nV/rtHz.  The layout, decoupling, earthing & construction have equal, if not greater importance.  That's why my recommendation for the 7th Circle stuff.  Cohen 1984 is their C84 .. geddit?
Yes, execution matters, there are many ways to degrade any path.
I have a small preference for Eden over THAT in certain applications (which is reversed for other apps) but we really need to wait for Rochey's own box & PSU for its full potential.

I'm only talking about noise though I have my own strong opinions about clarity & definition bla bla for various circuits.  Noise is something anyone with a bit of nounce can reliably test for himself without an AP.  My MicBuilders stuff on modifying DMP3 has some details.[.]
Again my suggestion to start nulling these very good preamps against each other to empirically measure how different they are, or not. (Of course we can only measure how different, not which is right or better.)
To put all this stuff into perspective ... the normal 150-200R mikes can achieve their full noise potential with the 1.6nV/rtHz of a good THAT or IN163 (Eden) implementation.

Supa LN transistors like 2sb737 et al in Cohen will show little practical noise improvement over THAT for most mikes.  But if you have a low output ribbon like 4038 .. especially the 30-50R versions, you will be looking for every dB of better noise performance.  Even then, you are talking about at best, 1.5dB between good implementations of both.
Yup, one of my "after beer o'clock" notebook designs that I never reduced to product was to make a mic preamp that could adjust things like the input stage current density so you could optimize for lowest noise for a given termination. Ideally I would stick a microprocessor in the unit and actually sample the output noise, with the real mic inside a quiet box. The micro could make spot measurements of actual noise for high and low current density to determine which is better for that mic. 

I suspect you could even tweak CMR with an automatic adjustment with the mic in circuit to compensate for mic variation. Hypothetically driving the phantom power resistors with a CM signal could serve as test stimulus.
Removing P48V and other stuff is likely to be more rewarding for a dedicated ribbon preamp.
I even suggested to my last friend still making analog consoles, to consider literally switching the phantom power network out of the audio path when not being used. He was not enthusiastic because it would involve adding another CM trim for both with and w/o phantom circuit.  I suspect there is a market for bare front end mic preamps to use with all these passive sum boxes people like.
This Millenium, I'm involved with experimental mike stuff that has some benefits from the 0.6nV/rtHz of the Earthworks.  I'd dearly love to know how Earthworks do it with P48, full protection & RFI stuff.  Their stuff is all encapsulated.  :( They've only recently started to claim their stuff is all discrete  ???

[.] If you read this carefully, you'll see some possible reasons for audible differences between preamps .. audible as in reliably detected in Double Blind Listening Tests.
Are you aware of any such double blind tests that have been performed and made public between premium preamps? While I find null test a lot easier to perform.

JR

PRR said:
> The 5087 (5089) IIRC was actually called low noise, but in my bench tests back in the day they did not deliver the goods at 150-200 ohm sources.

Yes, I recall these offered as "low noise", but in those days that meant medium impedances. Only kooks would try to get low-low-hiss off a 100 Ohm mike or 10 Ohm needle... that's what transformers are for!
;D ;D  yes,,, I used transformers for my early console front ends, but seeing the Transamp informed me that it could be done respectably w/o iron, and when I heard about the very low noise MC transistors i decided I could do it too.... Even $1 transistors are cheap compared to a decent transformer.
Has a 2dB noise-spec (at 10K or 3K Rs), and a full page of noise curves.
Yup, back in the day, even with a transformer front end you want a good NF wrt the transformer secondary impedance. By the late '70s there were opamps that could do that. 

JR
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/2N5087-D.PDF

Fig 5 is relevant. No problem getting 1dB above 1K source, but the published data does not suggest low-low noise figure below that. If it is working for Bill, the process has improved but the datasheet lags.

JohnRoberts said:
Are you aware of any such double blind tests that have been performed and made public between premium preamps? While I find null test a lot easier to perform.
Don't know of any with Mike Preamps.

I've conducted DBLTs on MC pre-pre amps but at that time, most such devices had more noise than the record ... so mine which was MUCH quieter, was easily picked out.

What I was referring to was my own DBLT panel from the previous Millenium, which had some of the best ears in the business.

For the modified-for-ribbons M-Audio DMP3 which was the subject of the note, they would pick up the different noise character immediately quite apart from the more than 4dB improvement.

Mike Preamp noise is very different from Condensor Mike noise which is different from Ribbon Mike noise which is different from room noise.  ;D

This is very annoying cos most times, when you do DBLTs, you are after the clarity & definition bla bla stuff rather than boring old stuff like noise or frequency response  :(

Some of my panel would tell me they had picked up noise differences and point out this would probably prejudice their comments. 

That's why you NEVER tell them what the test is about.

I am not a fan of listening tests blind, double blind or otherwise. I learned decades ago that my ears could not be trusted vs, even my decades old test bench. (Long story I've shred before...

To execute a DBLT requires a lot of effort from participants and reviewers. Then it takes two math majors to tell if the results are statistically "significant" or just noise. 

While I concede that the listening experience is the ultimate goal, I do not believe that human hearing is a good enough tool to use in design. 

While working inside a decent sized organization I had to deal with the fall out from the flawed results of a single blind test performed while I was out of town.  Expectation bias, and poor control of the test, resulted in flawed conclusions and extra work for me when I got back in my office.  After the fact it just made me look like I was making excuses to point out flaws in the test (variables that were not controlled for).

FWIW in console/mixer design there are many subtile variables in play that affect the perceived sound path quality. This is indeed worth understanding and using for benefit at POS.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
To execute a DBLT requires a lot of effort from participants and reviewers.
This is perhaps the biggest understatement that I've heard JR make  :eek:

Do Golden Pinnae think its easy.  It's NOT.  It's also VERY expensive to do properly.  MUCH more expensive than going out and buying the latest AP.  Many the time I've had to discard a lot of expensive results cos I realised part of the procedure is flawed.

Then it takes two math majors to tell if the results are statistically "significant" or just noise.
If this is the case, then the differences are probably not worth bothering with.

But if you do make the effort, you may be lucky to find true golden pinnae among the wannabe Golden Pinnae.  Than if you are even luckier, you might be surprised at the facility of your true golden pinnae to hear stuff.

What DBLTs tell you is what is worth working on and what is for da Marketing VP  I have this, perhaps naive, belief that good sound helps sell stuff.  I've done a bit to prove this  :)

A DBLT is a measurement.  It should be repeatable.  Your listening panel is a measuring instrument.  You need to know its accuracy and also calibrate it from time to time.

My original statement about DBLTs (which JR picked me up on) was simply to say that there were enough differences between the original and modified DMP3 in my MicBuilders Files that my DBLT panel would probably pick up reliably ... apart from the better noise.  In fact enough differences to explain any Golden Pinnae comments.

In any DBLT, you ask 2 questions
1) Is there a reliable difference?
2) Only if the answer to the first is yes do you ask the 2nd "Which is 'better'?"

You have to discount all the wannable Golden Pinnae who give unreliable/inconsistent results from 1)

You'll note many of the formal DBLTs never ask 2).  But its the answers to this question that I'm interested in.  I'm not really interested in the null results.  I want to know the stuff which gives better sound.  This is invariably NOT what the Golden Pinnae claim.

For da wannabe Golden Pinnae, you just say in a VERY LOUD VOICE, "MY STUFF IS HAND CARVED FROM SOLID UNOBTAINIUM BY VIRGINS".

And BTW, those who do loadsa DBLTs know how easy it is to cheat  :eek:  But they are so expensive to do that I would never waste time & money that way.

ricardo said:
JohnRoberts said:
To execute a DBLT requires a lot of effort from participants and reviewers.
This is perhaps the biggest understatement that I've heard JR make  :eek:

Do Golden Pinnae think its easy.  It's NOT.  It's also VERY expensive to do properly.  MUCH more expensive than going out and buying the latest AP.  Many the time I've had to discard a lot of expensive results cos I realised part of the procedure is flawed.
Yup, as i also shared, I got burned by a hap hazard listening test called by the owner of the company while I was out of town, so I could not manage at least most of the variables. Even a poorly executed test tells us something but perhaps more about expectation bias than reality.
Then it takes two math majors to tell if the results are statistically "significant" or just noise.
If this is the case, then the differences are probably not worth bothering with.
In fact the number of null or statistically insignificant results from tests between premium gear would discourage people from participating.  Sometimes people get discouraged by the results if they find out the picked the wrong winner. I recall a DBLT with some studio professionals from the bay area, who dropped out of the test after they learned they had preferred the AMR (Peavey) studio monitors over well known brands.

Speakers do generally sound more different that other parts of the signal chain, right behind that are microphones, so both are good candidates for DBLT. 
But if you do make the effort, you may be lucky to find true golden pinnae among the wannabe Golden Pinnae.  Than if you are even luckier, you might be surprised at the facility of your true golden pinnae to hear stuff.
We had one self proclaimed golden ear inside Peavey who was an EE, so I had several spirited discussions with him about his opinions and the science behind his thesis. You would think being a golden ear inside a value product company would be a living hell, but most of the time the difference between good sound and bad is not throwing money at products, but smart engineering. One time when his golden ear preference did cost money (using a better film capacitor inside a passive crossover) I approved the engineering change order, because his boss would not approve any cost increase (company politics). I think we increased the BOM cost on that speaker by something like $0.15, well worth it IMO.  I worked with this same engineer on several projects and he never disappointed me, and offered intelligent choices regarding cost/benefit for performance (yes in speakers it can cost more money for more performance.)
What DBLTs tell you is what is worth working on and what is for da Marketing VP  I have this, perhaps naive, belief that good sound helps sell stuff.  I've done a bit to prove this  :)
While perhaps jaded, my experience in hifi market seemed to disprove this. I made a phono preamp that IMO was as good as could be done, and an order of magnitude better than the rest of the medium. Magazine reviewers that listened to my preamp were in fact hearing their cartridge, and loudspeakers. So results were as you would imagine mixed. Since my price was low, expectations were also low. Only after I had already decided to exit that business did one of my units fall into the hands of serious reviewer with a good reference system and he liked it, but too little too late.

A DBLT is a measurement.  It should be repeatable.  Your listening panel is a measuring instrument.  You need to know its accuracy and also calibrate it from time to time.
This is what requires so much effort and use of statistics. In my personal experience I can measure stuff that I can not hear, and can not hear anything that I can not measure, so I prefer to use a good test bench, and listen just as a back up to confirm I did not over look something.

My original statement about DBLTs (which JR picked me up on) was simply to say that there were enough differences between the original and modified DMP3 in my MicBuilders Files that my DBLT panel would probably pick up reliably ... apart from the better noise.  In fact enough differences to explain any Golden Pinnae comments.

In any DBLT, you ask 2 questions
1) Is there a reliable difference?
2) Only if the answer to the first is yes do you ask the 2nd "Which is 'better'?"
This sounding different, IMO drives a number of recent "fashions" in preamps. One major console maker uses soft limiting so their otherwise linear preamps will sound different when over driven. Another intentional deviation is to play with input termination impedance to also make some microphones sound different. First you must sound different before you can argue that you sound better.
You have to discount all the wannable Golden Pinnae who give unreliable/inconsistent results from 1)

You'll note many of the formal DBLTs never ask 2).  But its the answers to this question that I'm interested in.  I'm not really interested in the null results.  I want to know the stuff which gives better sound.  This is invariably NOT what the Golden Pinnae claim.
I expect null results from linear paths. But I can appreciate some valid listening to microphone designs.
For da wannabe Golden Pinnae, you just say in a VERY LOUD VOICE, "MY STUFF IS HAND CARVED FROM SOLID UNOBTAINIUM BY VIRGINS".

And BTW, those who do loadsa DBLTs know how easy it is to cheat  :eek:  But they are so expensive to do that I would never waste time & money that way.

I am a strong proponent of null testing to parse out subtle audible differences between linear paths. Far less subjective than ears and meat computers post processing. I have studied psycho-acoustics over the years because human audition is squishy, but electronic circuits are not. 

JR

Latest posts

Back