trafoless microphone preamp wish list

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my perspective, the variable impedence is something I would build into a prototype, but may not leave if it proved not to be useful. So if it's as simple as jumpering in a stepped attenuator, then I'm fonzi....

ju

I think what people here might want to check would be the Gordon preamp. I have not seen on or heard one but the web site writeup is interesting
Film caps, high input inpedance etc.
I think CJ has some pictures.

Maybe PRRs design should be looked at again.

Gus,

Are you referring to that dual stage using the doubled up BJT cascode front of Rod Elliot's Project 66 circuit?

Tamas

the gordon stuff

http://www.gordonaudio.com/

It kind of sounds like the gain settings of each gain stage are controlled and set(ratio varied) for headroom and best S/N for the gain setting maybe via a microcontroller gain control?

Maybe if you don't have a variable gain control via a pot but have set gains that you can optimize the feedback network and maybe even bias points, currents in parts of the circuit for what one wants for the overall gain wanted.

The Gordon looks interesting. It is probably a trifle expensive, but so it goes.

Paul Stamler, have you had a chance to play with this beast?

It sounds as if Gordon does some local feedback etc. and then develops the voltages across a variable resistance. This was actually the approach I was going to use with the H*rm*n subjective eval facility computer-controlled attentuator system, although it got too expensive even for their deep pockets and I defaulted to a AD797/AD811 etc. based system, which in the end was still too expensive and was never completed :(

(It was finish the system or fire a secretary, as it was presented to me [and not, I might add, by the secretary, whose name was not Chloë]).

As far as the variable input R, I would only think of doing that with some fixed R's at this point across an otherwise fairly high-Z input. I have some other ideas but they are far from being sufficiently developed to discuss at this point, and frankly would have little benefit at these typical source impedances.

[quote author="Gus"] the gordon stuff http://www.gordonaudio.com/ [/quote]

No kidding! It looks like a thousand bucks worth of parts are inside that box.

Yeah, I think he is talking about varying the open loop gain on demand so the available feedback is always the same. If the remaining gain is always the same it should sound the same at all gain settings, at least in theory.

"In the Gordon preamplifier, the gain in the signal path is variable, equal to the actual setting of the gain control, with no loop feedback, no attenuators, nor the associated redundant gain." (from the website)

If we take Gordon at its word it sounds like no overall feedback.

Then you have to cascade multiple stages to get enough gain, don't you. Perhaps, that is why distortion specs are not published. Can you elaborate on this misterious idea?

Thanks,
Tamas

I talked to the Gordon preamp's designer (nice guy) at the 2003 NYC AES. If I remember correctly, he described the circuit as a number of cascadable gain stages that are switched in or out depending on the required overall gain. It's an approach that makes sense in a lot of ways, but it does result in a very large box with many parts inside!

EDIT: I just dug around a little on Usenet and found these tidbits from the designer himself. This should clarify a bit.

In most (er, many, some, a few?) circles, "no feedback" in
the context of audio product description implies ac negative loop
feedback. I assume "ac negative loop" gets dropped for brevity at the
risk of sloppy terminology, although "loop feedback" is mentioned in
the text - I'll talk to Marketing. Anyway, the Gordon uses two
variable-gain, open-loop (again, ac loop) amplifier stages with the
second stage switched out at the lower gain settings. Loop feedback
is used throughout the pre, but only dc loop and local feedback are
used around the audio path.

There are only two stages, each with six steps from 10-35dB, for
thirteen steps from 10-70dB, with the second stage cutting in at 40dB.
Each step can be calibrated and is "gain staged" to optimize dynamic
range and distortion. Most of the circuitry in the photo is for
support functions, primarily: closed-loop voltage and current
regulators for each stage, ten discrete closed-loop supply regulators
per channel, output load compensation, and gain control.

Grant Carpenter
Gordon Instruments

Kewl Dave. That's sort of what I figured.

So really at most only two stages it sounds like, with only local feedback within each and d.c. loop feedback for d.c. stability.

The output load compensation is interesting too---I hope it makes up its mind before a session and not in the middle of one!

Somebody is gonna get more grey hair designing this box. Gentlemen let the work begin.

It needs a name "Prodigy MPA1" designed by bcarso, directed by the forum? Calling PRR your rationality is needed.

Analag

I am betting on some flavor of this clump:
clump

With a clever scheme using a good multideck rotary and an output buffer it could really shine. You could even turn them into FET stages if your heart desires.

Thanks for that before-my-time link to the earlier thread.

Still waiting to hear from Stamler about how much above 4th harmonic is considered too much, but that seems to be one of the most worrisome constraints on the design at the moment. The differential compound pair approach is elegant and straightforward, but there's plenty of higher order products, and they are not going to go away with FETs.

But there are ways and they will emerge.

[quote author="Rossi"]Another cool possibility IMHO would be to have a pretty high fixed input impedance. If impedance was about 10k, we could use smaller input caps and would thus be able to use e.g. polyprop at relatively low cost. How's that?[/quote]

If the inputs are FET-based that'll work fine (although there are a few microphones, like the Shure SM57, that really prefer a lower impedance, but they also want it to be a transformer, so never mind). If they're bipolar-based, though, the input noise current may cause problems at infrasonic frequencies.

Peace,
Paul

The Calrec UA8000 switches between transformerless preamp for high levels and transformerbased preamp for low levels:

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/Calrec_UA8000_mic_input.gif

I think this is probably "the best of two worlds" - and if you look closely, you'll see that they do it with a single-deck (but wierd) gain switch.

Jakob E.

The Valley circuit has an input impedance of 50K to 100K depending on which app notes you look at. pstamler, why would you say the SM57 requires a low impedance load? I have used SM57s with the Valley circuit, and they sound great. As well, the SM57 has an internal transformer between the voice coil and the XLR of the mic.

[quote author="bcarso"]The Gordon looks interesting. It is probably a trifle expensive, but so it goes.

Paul Stamler, have you had a chance to play with this beast?[/quote]

I haven't. Some folks whose ears I respect have, though, and they've universally reported that the thing is head-and-shoulders above any preamp they've heard for pure clean neutrality of sound.

I'm told it has multiple low-gain amplifiers; you switch in and out however many you need for the gain you want.

[EDIT:] And evidently I was told wrong. Oh well.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="bcarso"]Thanks for that before-my-time link to the earlier thread.

Still waiting to hear from Stamler about how much above 4th harmonic is considered too much, but that seems to be one of the most worrisome constraints on the design at the moment. The differential compound pair approach is elegant and straightforward, but there's plenty of higher order products, and they are not going to go away with FETs.

But there are ways and they will emerge.[/quote]

Basically, I like to see the fourth harmonic just above the noise and everything higher below the noise floor. Rather surprisingly considering their reputation, there are several IC opamps that will do this nicely when treated right; so will some tube circuits. I haven't done a lot of messing with FETS but I gather they can do it too -- some of Erno Borbely's circuits, for example.

Peace,
Paul

Back