Transformer metalwork wanted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive seen plenty of transformers ripped off the PCB due to shock , sometimes the pins get ripped out and replacement is the only option.

Does bolting transformer cores to chassis create any issues with stray ground currents ?
I shouldn't do.

I cant really fathom the 'poor mans' reference in the name , it all looks fantastic quality .
That's is probably the best compliment I could ask for. :)

The Poor Man;s Tube Mixer has been incubating for some time. The original idea was a single PCB in an off the shelf enclosure but there was so much internal wiring that it was very very awkward to build and impossible to service/troubleshoot. So I went back to the EZTubeMixer basic construction of plug in modules and a backplane connecting them. This is a more expensive enclosure but not as bad as you might think because apart from the two side cheeks, all the parts are off the shelf and as you can see the internal wiring is very much simplified. We had lots of discussions here about what features and facilities it should have. The wide variety of requirements only served to demonstrate that the plug in module approach was right. But which sub-set of possible features should the first one have? In this I have been customer led. I have had long conversations with two potential customers. One wants a 4 into 2 with mic pres with the usual facilities plus a two band stepped EQ and a couple of AUX sends/returns, slider faders, a simple monitor with headphones out and a stereo LED VU. That is the one I am building now and which is shown in the above pictures. The other customer wants an 8 into 2 but line level inputs only - no mic pres. Still a 2 band EQ and whatever AUXes I can squeeze in. SInce both designs are based on my Twin Line Amp design, the same basic module can house a single mic pre and EQ or two line inputs with EQ. All that has to change is the front panel. So those are the two basic designs on the go right now. Target price is £4000 but increased component costs, especially transformers, is making that increasingly difficult.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back