Transformer metalwork wanted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MidnightArrakis: I *am* the machine shop;-) I also do CAD-drawing, project management, planning and production of mainly art-works, bronze casting, metal fabrication and wood joinery. My hobby is speakers, amplifiers, turntables...

@ruffrecords: You needed 10 right? It makes sense to make all 10 at once...
V!
Yes, 10 would be good to start with,

Many Thanks

Ian

[I do not need a design for it, I need the physical thing itself] -- I certainly understand that!!! But, usually in order to somehow obtain "the physical thing itself", you first need some type of a design and its associated mechanical detail drawing in order to have the design physically made. I was merely throwing in my -- 2-cents worth -- (2-quid???) of assisting with a 3D CAD-model of what you are/were looking for. That's all.
PM'd

Cheers

Ian

Many thanks for the tip Disco. I am aware of Asco but unfortunately they only supply to transformer manufacturers and in production quantities. We used them for the parts for the output transformer designed by Volker but I had to get my local transformer manufacturer to source the parts from them. In the end we had to buy enough to make 20 transformers.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I just remembered this supplier: Roland Arzner KG – Transformer Components
In case you ever need more. #11 is the one for those parts, but they have all sorts of stuff for building transformers. I never bought there, but once had a chat with some support guy and they seemed happy to sell in any quantities.
They also sent me a price list, all very reasonable if not to say cheap and they had some more variants of those particular parts than are present in the PDF.

Hey Ian. We can ship you 10 brackets for free. We use them in our transformers. The size fits the Carnhill cores, EI57, stock 20mm.
You can also try our "Open frame" brackets. They fit in any kind of stock size. We also can ship them if you like.
Many many thanks for the transformer clamps. I have put them to good use in the latest build of the Poor Man's Tube Mixer.

clampedtransformers.JPG

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Nice to see the ElectroMags mount this way! BTW, I recently had two non working out of my 20 item batch :-(
Sorry to hear about your faulty ElctroMags. I am sure they will be happy to replace them.

The transformers in the picture are not ElectroMags. They are Carnhills. Many years ago Colin at Audiomaintenance got Carnhill to make me a version of the VTB2291 that could be PCB mounted. I only tried one and then the design changed so I did not need them. Then a few weeks ago I contacted Colin about some VTB 2291s. He said he had 100 of the PCB mounting versions in stock. I had no idea he had that many made, so I bought ten to start with. I am sure I will find a reason to buy most of the remainder of his stock.

But, that is a good idea - the ElecroMags could be mounted in a similar way. Just need a smaller clamp.

An earlier attempt to mount lots of ElectroMag transformers used a PCB that was attached to a pair of 84HP extrusions:

EMagPCB.png

However, I abandoned this because I had concerns about the vibration of the heavy transformers when transported

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• EMagPCB.png
    EMagPCB.png
    520.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry to hear about your faulty ElctroMags. I am sure they will be happy to replace them.

The transformers in the picture are not ElectroMags. They are Carnhills. Many years ago Colin at Audiomaintenance got Carnhill to make me a version of the VTB2291 that could be PCB mounted. I only tried one and then the design changed so I did not need them. Then a few weeks ago I contacted Colin about some VTB 2291s. He said he had 100 of the PCB mounting versions in stock. I had no idea he had that many made, so I bought ten to start with. I am sure I will find a reason to buy most of the remainder of his stock.

But, that is a good idea - the ElecroMags could be mounted in a similar way. Just need a smaller clamp.

An earlier attempt to mount lots of ElectroMag transformers used a PCB that was attached to a pair of 84HP extrusions:

View attachment 104240

However, I abandoned this because I had concerns about the vibration of the heavy transformers when transported

Cheers

Ian
[I had concerns about the vibration of the heavy transformers when transported] -- This suggestion would require a new PCB, but if you wanted to use this mounting scheme, you -- could -- use either an 0.093" or 0.125" (2.362mm or 3.175mm) thick PCB laminates instead of the standard 0.062" (1.575mm) thick laminate. I have used these thicker PCB laminations on PCB's that were going into mobile military equipment used within vehicles and other types of military equipment where the general application was going to be in a "rough and tumble" environment (i.e., front-line combat gear).

Then again.....while it is visibly apparent that the transformers have "mounting holes" within their structures, it appears as though they don't align up with the mounting holes seen on the PCB itself. Assuming that these two sets of mounting holes -- DID -- align up with one another, then obviously.....an appropriately long and sized machine screw should be enough to hold this all together well enough!!! Other than that, perhaps a liter or two of some RTV compound poured over the entire assembly just might do the job, ya think???

/

[I had concerns about the vibration of the heavy transformers when transported] -- This suggestion would require a new PCB, but if you wanted to use this mounting scheme, you -- could -- use either an 0.093" or 0.125" (2.362mm or 3.175mm) thick PCB laminates instead of the standard 0.062" (1.575mm) thick laminate. I have used these thicker PCB laminations on PCB's that were going into mobile military equipment used within vehicles and other types of military equipment where the general application was going to be in a "rough and tumble" environment (i.e., front-line combat gear).

Then again.....while it is visibly apparent that the transformers have "mounting holes" within their structures, it appears as though they don't align up with the mounting holes seen on the PCB itself. Assuming that these two sets of mounting holes -- DID -- align up with one another, then obviously.....an appropriately long and sized machine screw should be enough to hold this all together well enough!!! Other than that, perhaps a liter or two of some RTV compound poured over the entire assembly just might do the job, ya think???

/
The transformer bobbin has integral PCB mounting pins (12 of them) so this is the main means of both electrical and mechanical fixing of the transformers to the PCB. The 'mounting holes' come free with the laminations so it allows the transformer manufacturer to make differently mounted versions of transformer using one set of laminations (fairly sensible bean counting). The could be used in addition to the 12 mounting pins but I don't think that would make a lot of difference, A thicker PCB is certainly a good idea as that is the main tressed component. I am just wary of the weight of iron during transport after I had the resin centre of a toroidal transformer torn out when I shipped it to Germany. In this instance the rack was fully wrapped in foam rubber yet the shipper managed to bend one of the rack ears. Since then I shipp all my consoles in wooden crates.

Cheers

ian

Ive seen plenty of transformers ripped off the PCB due to shock , sometimes the pins get ripped out and replacement is the only option.

Does bolting transformer cores to chassis create any issues with stray ground currents ?

I cant really fathom the 'poor mans' reference in the name , it all looks fantastic quality .

Latest posts

Back