Transformerless Neumann SDC Help?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabasa

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while, but I'm happy to be taking on another mic project! I have some mic pcbs with a Neumann KM84 on them that I want to populate. However, I'm toying with the idea of making them transformerless, with a capacitor output. My cleanest, clearest sounding mics are my AKG C460B's, with Jim Williams mods that I implemented a few years back, so I want to work with a transformerless concept using these boards.

Attached is the Neumann KM84 schematic. How difficult would it be to modify the circuit to a capacitor-output design? It can't be that difficult, can it? It's only four connections.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for the help.
Neumann KM84 Schematic.jpg

Not impossible, but you DO need at least one transistor as an emitter follower of some sort, that can drive the low impedance of the cable + preamp input. That will, of course, require some extra current, so if your capsule is biased straight from the phantom feed, that will reduce the available voltage.

Thanks. I can probably chop a breadboard to the exact dimensions I need and take it from there. Robert from Russell Technologies is awesome.
The Neumann KM100 mic does seem to have what I'm after, but I can't find a schematic anywhere.

Latest posts

Back