Trident 80 non-inverting Mic Pre : gain?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
I would  love  hear about the pre-post switch. I recall our tridents at the back room had a 3 position switch  for inserts which did  pre, post and bypass. The reason for the bypass was  with the desk  left stock, the inserts only work because they normal through the patch bay, and that for each channel the insert send goes down all that wire,  to the send jack, normals through the patchbay  and  then back down the length of wire back into the channel.  The tech at the time thought it was necessary, But for the life of me I do not have those mod notes.

Yes - it's two different things in our desk. The way we got it was already with a insert bypass switch. We have 24 TSM eq modules in the middle of the desk, normalled to inserts 1-24... So if used with mic or line in, there's a choice of two completely different eqs on those channels. To avoid going through the patchbay and the TSM eq buffers (even when disengaged), they implemented an insert bp switch.
The way we use the console: I avoid to go all the way through line inputs for mixing, but use the insert return jack instead. The drawback is that the inputs are single ended, but the cables to converters are not to long.
We can now use the TSM eqs for mixing by simply patching converter outs into TSM in instead of insert ret.
Since we wanted to be able to mix on the fly while recording but still be able to switch to eq before recording, we implemented a second switch there.
We really have an 3/4 inline desk now - I can switch between DAW monitor and direct with the insert button, and the EQ position with the new pre/post button. We can add TSM eq in the mix by patching, we use our outboard compressors through the monitor section for parallel compression :)  I added a FX submix system with  16->12 mixer and a Summing box for the FX returns, then back into the console through echo returns.
And we have an active buffered monitor system with a matrix from up to 48 inputs to 16 subgroups that runs all signals through the whole studio and is also switchable pre/post recording/bypass...
The whole setup is really fast and very flexible now without having to do much patching!
::)

Back