Triode connected 6BA6

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorr

Sometime ago as regards to using triode connected 6BA6's as an alternative to the 6386. Some members suggested a 1k resistor between screen and anode. I gathered this was to reduce screen current and not having access to a Tektronix  570 curve tracer, I have used this value in my compressors.
I am currently building another compressor and have been wondering about this value of screen resistor and what effect it has on the 6BA6's vari mu operation. Also because I discovered a commercial builder using 718 ohms and in the same but later model 150 ohms.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

G2 impedance is 20K or more.

I do not think a resistor is needed. (May be a handy jumper.)

I am sure no difference 1K or 718. Maybe that builder had a carton of 718 that he wasn't using?

As you have the compressor on the bench, why not use turrets here and try several/many different values? First run 0, 1K, 10K, 100K, to get the general sense of which way compression changes. If you smell a happy-spot between 1K and 10K, try 3k. I doubt it will be any fussier than that, and if you have overstock 2.7K or 3.9K you can use them up.

Thanks PRR, yes I was thinking that a resistor may not be needed. But I did not consider using values greater than 1k. I will do as you suggest

Latest posts

Back