tube head amp vs. solid state mic and tube preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then that OT transformer interacts with pre that follows. BV8, T14, and other transformers are quite different than your preamp transformers.

What are the differences between mic output and preamp input transformers? I was under the impression they were pretty similar (except for mumetal shielding, and I guess BV8 being larger than a typical input). Any reason you couldn’t use one in place of the other?

What are the differences between mic output and preamp input transformers? I was under the impression they were pretty similar (except for mumetal shielding, and I guess BV8 being larger than a typical input). Any reason you couldn’t use one in place of the other?
I am probably the last person to ask about transformer intricacies, but here it's the question of implementation in the circuit. Like you mentioned it is not likely to find a BV8, or T14 as input transformer in a pre. Even though they might be a same transformer, just being at the end of a circuit, and at the beginning of next one means they perform different roles,. They are ''seeing'' and ''reflecting'' what's before and after them. If that makes sense.

Back