Tube Tech MP1A weirdness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's the psu schematic. +48V is phantom and 33V is heater. the 2200uf cap is 1000uf in my unit.

Attachments

• mp1a1_psu.jpg
    mp1a1_psu.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 115
aha.. this is a newer one with 33V for the heaters.
I've replaced the heater psu-cap and things haven't improved :(

pucho812 said:
If there is ripple then there  could be a bad electrolytic cap or several bad electrolytic caps in the PSU
well, I replaced the cap because there was ripple on the 33V/48V psu, just as you suggested...? we're talking $ 0,25 here so always worth a try ;). or is there a way to check which capacitor in the psu might be faulty?
I just realized that because all the tubes have their heaters in series with each other, removing tube 1 means the other tubes won't get heater voltage making measurements etc impossible.

cheers,
corneel

correct I did say that. and yes no harm no foul.

checking for caps, use a multimeter and make sure you de-solder one side of the cap to see if it is working much like checking resistors.

which side had the ripple? 33V or 48V?  did you go over the solder joints?

pucho812 said:
checking for caps, use a multimeter and make sure you de-solder one side of the cap to see if it is working much like checking resistors.
I've always found testing caps with a multimeter a bit unreliable because the testconditions are not the same as the in circuit-operation. I recently replaced a fairly new multi-cap in a Leslie 147 for instance which measured ok but turned out to be fried.

pucho812 said:
which side had the ripple? 33V or 48V?  did you go over the solder joints?
both..

Here's a version of the schematic with differences from Jakob's original in red. On the bad channel the zobel-capacitor of 47nF measures 72nF.. Could this be a cause of the problem?

Attachments

• tubetech_mp1a_v2.png
    tubetech_mp1a_v2.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 80
Pucho, hot damn, I owe you one. looks like re-soldering all connections fixed the damn thing..
Let me know when you're in The Netherlands and I'll buy you a beer!

I'll do some more testing tomorrow just to be sure.

Thanks everyone!

More like a MP-1A thread ?

I have a friends here and he is getting a crackling
when the phantom is engaged , with no mic connected
I'm reading 82v dc , which doesn't make me want to attach
a mic to hear it , I Lifted one of the phantom resisters and
it is 6.8k , so other than resoldering , which i will do
Anyone else heard this problem  [ and solve it ? ] before ?

a handful of parts in the psu , i guess
[ which i can see where the traces of the bigger watt resisters
have burned off and been replaced with parts leads ]

Latest posts

Back