U47 & C12 DIY Microphone Kit, Capsules CK12 K47 K67 K87 & Parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which DIY mic do you prefer?

• Neumann U47 DIY

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Neumann U67 DIY

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Neumann U87 DIY

• Telefunken ELA-M 251 DIY

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • AKG C12 DIY

• Total voters

micandmod

intro.png

Welcome to the world of Mic & Mod.
French company specializing in Microphone DIY Kit and Parts.

Our webstore is available at : www.micandmod.com
You can select your language at the top right of the site.

The prices are displayed with the french Tax of 20%.
For people out of European Union, you can deduct this tax.

We ship worldwide ! Very fast shipping !
For examples: 4 days to USA for a microphone.

Secure payment by Paypal or Bank transfer.

U47 DIY Kit

Available here

u47diykit.jpg

C12 Vintage Microphone PCB

Our C12 PCB is a faithful circuit reproduction of the vintage AKG C12 microphone.
It's designed to fit easily in Alctron HT-11A or Apex 460 donor microphone body type (or M-12 microphone available here).

The particularity of our circuit is to have the High impedance Bridge fully floating on isolated teflon pins.
This results in an unaltered sound. The PCB is available here.

The complete Build Guide is available here

Price : 29€

C12 Microphone Parts Kit: available here
79 €

c12pcb.jpg

presentationC12.png

Introducing our new project C12 DIY Kit: available here
Price: from 549€

C12-1.jpg

236.jpg

237.jpg

102.jpg

231.jpg

232.jpg

C12 Output Capacitor Choice:
- NOS Russian PIO 0.47uF
- JB JFX Premium Film 1uF

164.jpg

Transformer Cinemag CM-13114
High quality transformer Made In USA.
Ratio: 12:1 like the real C12.

203.jpg

Capsule MK-12
High quality recreation of AKG CK-12 capsule.

MK12-2.jpg

presentationU87.png

Introducing our new U87 DIY Kit 2.5: available here
Price with MK-87 capsule : 499€

NEW IN 2.5:
- exclusive transformer Cinemag CM-13113 : recreation of T13 transformer
- resistors 60M Vishay
- internal wiring copper/silver with teflon
- capsule choice : MK-67 premium (Omni/Cardio) or MK-87 (Omni/Cardio/Fig8) assembled in France.

U87.jpg

Capsule MK-87
High quality recreation of Neumann K87 capsule.
Assembled in France with German Mylar.
Perfect recreation for U87 DIY.
Price : 199€
available here

MK87.jpg

MK-12 Capsule - AKG CK-12 style

MK12.jpg

The MK-12 is a large dual diaphragm microphone capsule manufactured according to the specifications of a AKG CK-12 capsule.
It is perfect for any modification of a tube (C12 kit or Apex 460) or condenser microphone (C414 style), and a build of Vintage AKG C12.
Compatible with our C12 DIY Kit from GroupDIY.

Each capsule includes a mounting post with saddle appropriate to the capsule and screws.

Type: AKG CK-12 dual backplate style capsule
Capsule diameter: 34.1 mm
Diaphragm diameter: 26.5 mm
Capsule depth: 12.4 mm
Membrane composition: 5 micron Mylar sputtered with Gold

MK-47 Capsule - Neumann K47 style

MK47.jpg

The MK-47 is a large dual diaphragm microphone capsule manufactured according to the specifications of a Neumann K47 capsule.
It is perfect for any modification of a tube or condenser microphone, and a build of Neumann U47/U47Fet.

Each capsule includes a mounting post with saddle appropriate to the capsule, 1 blue connection wire and screws.

The MK-47 is 100% compatible with U47 and U47Fet kit from GroupDIY.

Type: Neumann K47 dual backplate style capsule
Capsule diameter: 34 mm
Capsule depth: 9.6 mm
Membrane composition: 3 micron Mylar sputtered with Gold

MK-67 premium Capsule - Neumann K67 style

MK67P.jpg

The MK-67 premium is a large dual diaphragm microphone capsule manufactured according to the specifications of a Neumann K67 capsule.
It is perfect for any modification of condenser microphone or build (D-U87 PCB from Poctop : with pattern Cardio & Omni only), and a perfect choice for professional voice recording and acoustic instruments.

Each capsule includes a mounting post with saddle appropriate to the capsule, 1 blue connection wires and screws.

100% compatible with Poctop D-U67 : Neumann U67 DIY Kit

Type: Neumann K67 dual backplate style capsule
Diaphragm diameter: 26.7 mm
Capsule depth: 12.3 mm
Membrane composition: 5 micron Mylar sputtered with Gold

Parts and accessories

- Electro-Harmonix 12AY7/6072A tube
- Electro-Harmonix 12AY7/6072A Gold tube
- Golden Age Project Channel-Strip
- Microphone output transformers Cinemag CM-13113
- Metal plate Vintage style for microphone
- Microphone High End cable Sommer Cable SC-Source MKII Highflex
- Tools & Welding
- And more...

Thank you :)
And if you have suggestions about products or any questions, please contact me or reply this topic.

Randallizer said:
Hiya.

On the site it says youre out of stock on the M12 mic body. Any idea when you'll have any in?

Hi,
the M-12 will be in stock in the course of September month, like the M-47.
The M-87 will be in stock in the August 12 week.
Best.
Yannick

micandmod said:
Thank you :)
And if you have suggestions about products or any questions, please contact me or reply this topic.

OK, a couple of things that come to mind for starters.

Introducing our new unmarked microphone M-87.
The circuit is based on a Neumann U87, with output transformer handmade.
We have incorporated a 32mm capsule MK-7 (clone of M7 capsule) to give a more neutral color to its frequency response and more precision on the transients.

A U87 circuit with an M7 (or K47 for that matter) is a bad combination by definition. The first is de-emphasis, the second has flat trebles at best. Result: a very dark sounding microphone.
And if the  MK-7 is anything like Microphone Parts' RK-7, the result will be even darker.

Type: AKG CK-12 dual backplate style capsule
Capsule depth: 12.4 mm
Membrane composition: 3 micron Mylar sputtered with Gold

Certainly less problematic than my first point, but I'd say 3 microns is on the thin side for a large membrane without center screw.

And a question:
Are you in contact with chunger for instance?

A U87 circuit with an M7 (or K47 for that matter) is a bad combination by definition. The first is de-emphasis, the second has flat trebles at best. Result: a very dark sounding microphone.
And if the  MK-7 is anything like Microphone Parts' RK-7, the result will be even darker.

Our m-87 is based on an inspired U87 circuit. This is not quite the same. Rather than put an unbalanced capsule K67 type, we have added a MK-7 more dark, but when added to the circuit, gives a very soft sound, whether in the low-mid or high frequencies. The microphone is not dark, but its frequency response is more balanced with a small peak in frequency 10kHz (curve being created). You can listen to a little comparison with a vintage U87i (this is not an Ai, I have to change this error) on our second site: http://www.micandmod.com/theworkshop/audios/u87-vs-m87/

Certainly less problematic than my first point, but I'd say 3 microns is on the thin side for a large membrane without center screw.

Yes, thank you for your comment. We made ​​a mistake that is now corrected. MK-12 is a capsule of 5 microns.

Are you in contact with chunger for instance?

No, because we work on the European continent. I know that Chunger also sells microphones unmarked, and I know they are good quality.

Thank you for your questions. Do not hesitate to get back to me if I missed details.
Best.
Yannick

What are the dimensions of the M-12 body? Is it the same as an Apex 460, or is it C12 dimensions? Is the MK-12 capsule chambered, or is it a K67-based design that is edge-terminated?

Melodeath00 said:
What are the dimensions of the M-12 body? Is it the same as an Apex 460, or is it C12 dimensions?

Hi, the dimensions of M-12 body are :
- Length: about 238mm
- Diameter max: about 47mm
- Weight: about 822g
Dimensions for M-12. The M-12 premium with original C12 headbasket is more longer. It is closer to an original C12. All C12 DIY kit are compatible with the M-12.

Is the MK-12 capsule chambered, or is it a K67-based design that is edge-terminated?

Our MK-12 capsule has the same manufacturing than the Peluso CEK-12 capsule for a lower price. We also made a comparison between our MK-12 capsule in the premium M-12 and CK-12 capsule from Tim Campbell in a Flea 12. Results soon available on "The Workshop" website.

Best.
Yannick

Hiya
Thats a very good price on capsules.
Are they made by you, imported or something else? I'd like to know a bit more about them than whats on the website...

Some ideas other things you could stock:
- A wider variety of output transformers (ones for u67, u47 etc)
- short body u47 compatible with poctops u47fet pcb.

Hiya
Are they made by you, imported or something else? I'd like to know a bit more about them than whats on the website...

Prices are in the ballpark of those offered by Microphone Parts, but more '"expensive" than when purchased directly from the Chinese source(s). We have had a couple of group buys for the latter.
I should add that Matt from Microphone Parts claims there's extra quality control on his capsules (short/oversimplified version of a longer story). I too would be interested to hear Yannick's story.

Henk

ramshackles said:
Hiya

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in our site and products.
Your question is very relevant and I'll try to answer as accurately as possible :)

When we created Mic & Mod, our No.1 goal was to offer high quality products at competitive prices. The challenge was big. To meet this challenge, a portion of capsules are assembled in our factory according to a strict specifications from Mic & Mod, and selected components from countries worldwide (eg, Mylar comes from a Japanese supplier, Germany, USA, etc). We are in constant contact with our factory, and have correspondents in place to control and monitor production. Our capsules are all completed and tested in France in our workshops. All our capsules ranges have the same quality as Peluso, and others.

Maybe Matt could tell you, but many of capsule that can be found in Asia or others country (also in Europe for example) are of poor quality (some of which can be found in microphones on the market!). I recall seeing one day, one with a removable diaphragm, they missed several screws on the front (I do not name the brand of mic, but it is famous brand). Not to mention the fingerprints on the membrane!

Some ideas other things you could stock:
- A wider variety of output transformers (ones for u67, u47 etc)
- short body u47 compatible with poctops u47fet pcb.

Thank you for your suggestions :)
Regarding the transformers, we are currently working on the development of legend transformers. We would like to propose them with amazing price.
Regarding the U47 short body, for moment, this is not news. We will soon offer a kit for our U47 long body. We are also working on developing a clone KM184 microphone.

If you have others suggestions, let me know :D

Today I received my MK-47 capsule. I didn't have the time to test it yet (I will do so tomorrow), but the capsule looks very good. Packed in a sealed plastic box with a serial number on it, together with the matching saddle, screws and the backplate connection wire. And as an extra bonus: a 10 Euro voucher I can use for my next order.
Since I am located in Europe, it was a pleasant surprise I did not have to pay extra taxes and customs fees.
Shipping costs are very reasonable. So far: thumbs up!

Sounds very similar to the microphone parts capsules which I'ce used before....so it is very good news for those of us in europe!

Thank you RuudNL and ramshackles for your comments.

It is very significant to have a positive opinion that reward our work :)

Good news ! I know a lot of you have asked me when the microphone M-87 will be available for sale.
They arrive, by next week, the packaging should be ready.

In the meantime, I offer you a short video presentation ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPYnqTGnRY

This is really tempting...Especially since I wanted sliding switches for my u87 build. but I bought Chungers body which has the metal switches. In any case I still need to build my C12, ELAM 251, and U67 so I will be watching this thread closely...your mic bodies look very nice and modern looking

I'm impressed with what I see on the computer screen but I'm hoping build/metal/material quality matches the website and the pictures.

Am I correct to believe that if I bought a full Mic kit from you it would come with capsule, transformer, tube, shock mount, and PSU?

And I know you mentioned it is compatible with the 87 pcb here on the forum, but in specifics, is it compatible with poctops pcbs (87, 67) and Matadors and chungers c12 pcb?

And I know you mentioned it is compatible with the 87 pcb here on the forum, but in specifics, is it compatible with poctops pcbs (87, 67) and Matadors and chungers c12 pcb?

the M87 body is indeed compatible with the 87 taper board,  it is the same mic body microphone parts had a while ago as per the U67 Chunger SYT-5 is the perfect choice and also the U87 large pcb is made to fit in it,
Hope this helps,
Best,
Dan,

Toure14 said:
This is really tempting...Especially since I wanted sliding switches for my u87 build. but I bought Chungers body which has the metal switches. In any case I still need to build my C12, ELAM 251, and U67 so I will be watching this thread closely...your mic bodies look very nice and modern looking

I'm impressed with what I see on the computer screen but I'm hoping build/metal/material quality matches the website and the pictures.

Am I correct to believe that if I bought a full Mic kit from you it would come with capsule, transformer, tube, shock mount, and PSU?

Dear Toure14,

Yes, our M-87 is compatible with the D-U87 taper PCB from Poctop.
As confirmed by poctop, I don't think it's compatible with the U67 kit.
The M-12 is compatible with Matador C12 kit.

Yes, when you purchase a full mic kit, you have a complete functionnal mic with high quality materials. We just have different versions :
For M-12 and M-47
- Basic version : PSU + Mic body + basic circuit + capsule K67 type + tube 12AX7 : ideal for mod. Mod ready.
- Premium version : PSU + Mic body (C12 headbasket premium for M12) + basic circuit + capsule MK-12 or MK-47 (depend models) + 6072A russian tube selected : premium choice and no mod required.

In a few months we will also be the official distributor of a new French brand of microphone. The microphones are assembled in France and high quality for a great price. The range will consist of vintage style models (C12, U47, U87) with circuit and high-end components and 6072A tube.
I'll tell you more in a few times, but don't hesitate to send me a PM if you want more informations on these microphones.

Best.
Yannick

Any chance of offering U47 style shock mounts by themselves? I bought some from another source and they turned out to be trash.

Back