• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold U87 Clone SOLD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvis

Hey everyone,

I'm selling my U87 Clone that I built a few years back as my first microphone project. Its a SYT-5 body (including a shockmount and a little pouch) that houses Dany's D87 PCBs, an AMI T13 transformer and a Maiku K87 capsule.

The bias is only set with a multimeter, since I didn't have an oscilloscope back then. Also, looking at the PCBs you can still see some flux residue and I remember I had some random pops one time, when I took it from a cold to a warm place to record. So it might not be the number one choice for high humidity recording (yet), but I don't think it's a problem a little isopropyl alcohol couldn't fix. So there is room for improvement, but considering it was my first build, the soldering and everything else isn't terrible.

It has only been used for one album production three years back and a handful of times at home, but the last two years it's only been sitting on my shelf. When I tested it today, everything worked well.

If anyone is looking for a U87 clone and is maybe willing to do a quick check-up, that I don't have time for atm, you are in luck. Im looking for 450€, which is a little less than the cost of the parts. But I'm also willing to take offers. Shipping preferably within the EU.

Best
Jannis

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hey,

although as far as I'm aware, I have a Greek first name, I'm from Germany. But yes, the mic is still available if you're still interested and shipping to Greece would be no problem!

Best
Jannis

Hey,

although as far as I'm aware, I have a Greek first name, I'm from Germany. But yes, the mic is still available if you're still interested and shipping to Greece would be no problem!

Best
Jannis
Hi,
Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

Hey micolas,

sorry for the late replay, I missed the notification. If I remember correctly, I pretty much straight up bought the suggested Mouser BOM and on there was a 2N3819 made by Central Semiconductor. But since building that mic quite some time has passed, so I couldn't tell you about my measured IDSS. According to the datasheet Vgs of the JFET is 25V, I did not measure that myself. Hope that helps in any way.

Best
Jannis

Hi jarvis!
I also bought the 2N3819 CEN Central Semiconductor from Mouser, several to choose from, they all measure between 7...9mA, suitable for the U87 topology, but I liked the Fairchild and Motorola (NOS) better. I am still undecided about your offer. Thank you for your reply and kindness.
All the best!

Yeah, I've heard that those NOS often have lower IDSS values, but since I was just starting out building stuff when I did that build, I wasn't really keen on experimenting and went with what worked at the time.

Happy holidays!

Jannis

Latest posts

Back