'Ugly' your Behringer B-5.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

Took me awhile, but I discovered that the B-5 capsules and electronics are really not bad (the omni capsule is actually quite good); the mic is mainly let down by the considerably thin, cheap and ringey body tube, which appears to be aluminum (!).

Since there's no space inside to apply deadening material, the only option is to stick stuff to the outside. Blu-Tack, Duct Seal https://www.amazon.com/Fittings-Universal-Waterproof-Non-Conducting-Wire/dp/B00UZWM1U0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=4FBZ6A9F51RZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.jD0t_UqivXuI0sjgBxpGWLAIPkJDrH66Eg2W3AAyZLZGNE8T_WWZLLvG1XCNDok-yCXLcjh7Pe16ph9C5s9anrjhr09uh6KU0lT2aU3qJC8VhJizpyJeD3Rfo6Ad-TqU4vXF9c4qTZqhDGnJKPTajJjNo9rJrobtx8nt9avXNHJhVRmJpK8m-Oo6fw76EmKKLkCgni5EudGubBbTmvyjyssVcEAvCctv-BKq0Up6TLs.hrMu26KTnpz8EkYfUdLKj0VWiKdU5YMveu5hhn2OU_c&dib_tag=se&keywords=coax-seal&qid=1719363933&sprefix=coax-seal,aps,184&sr=8-4 3M Mastic Tape https://www.amazon.com/3M-Conformable-Self-Fusing-Electrical-Applications/dp/B001B1AP3O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2WQHMB6KGVJJ1&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.bAaXw2AGlkvapZ5DU2zyLpJPFmUoCWf-mKbfCA48GDpcZY6vbajVYWu7QHDWS59QD1m4qyZOBhab0988ldIjq7hrKZKFkDIieirTb2o58vMEoRbPnT1lVIm_0LR6Ewxb50TXdpFfk1uddjpUAef2KeEpnifD9l8dJnicHZ9So8Nk1sKImDECS-h3Voh743jquyyY0GiiY_mmHpoAUowBqaH-R1lNjBv_Hbe8LSEKZX0.ObZ7y1wf1gWWTRoaOHtbD8kHLxESO0f57FAtDAFArqw&dib_tag=se&keywords=3m+mastic+tape&qid=1719364003&sprefix=3m+mastic+tap,aps,224&sr=8-3, etc., to the ouside of the body, leaving just enough uncovered to attach it to a clip, and allow access to the switch.

This leaves it sticky of course, so one has to then wrap it in thin plastic like a cut up baggy or garbage bag.

Looks like crap, but considerably improves the sound, especially if used near loud instruments.

I suppose carefully cutting some of that automotive panel-deadening material would look much tidier; if anyone has any better-looking alternatives, please share.

_________

The Samson C02 is exactly the opposite: a really cheap, harsh Transound electret capsule, in a nice heavy, solid brass body. Grrr!

Last edited:
I've used liquid bitumen on the inside of a pair of my B5's. It's the stuff you get from car parts stores. It has two big disadvantages: it stinks for a long time after drying and it dries real slow. So I put the bodies in a household oven @ minimal temp, which is around 75-90°C.

I had two carve two slits for the board, that's all.

These were B5's with a rash, so they already looked bad on the outside. I've just bought black paint and now I can't find them...

Latest posts

Back