Universal Audio M610 Pre power transformer burnt, please help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rackmonkey said:
The reason I asked my earlier question about the board numbers is that I bought a few of those boards a few moons ago from David K at Studio Electronics, along with the larger transformers to match (I assume these went to the dual 610 pres because they are the larger EI transformers). But the power supply board is the same for both the 2-610 and the M-610. So I was going to offer to measure up the transformer and get the voltages for you (it's unmarked other than model number).  But...

Squarewave, did you look that part up to get those winding specs? Looks like no need for me to mess with a measurement.

But PRR's right - get two transformers. Faster that way.

Yes, I also talked to David but there are no more parts left and you are right as being the same tranfo for m610 and 2-610. In one of my comments i attached the label with all the specs of the burned one. Thanks for the help, I’ll have to take it to knowledable tech that is past my abilities combining more than one transformer.

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr270

specs are a lot closer to the original:

240V 70mA
3.5V-0-3.5V 3A
24V 50mA
24V 50mA

customel said:
What do you guys think about this one?
https://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr270
Big one.  Most probably too big for your chassis.
This one looks good:
https://www.don-audio.com/Toroidal-Transformer-Mila-sec-250vct-63vct-48V

Don’t expect quick service to the US from Don Audio. My last order took 3 emails (only one of which was answered) and 1 and 1/2 months for in-stock parts. Maybe I was just unlucky.

I would be worried about why the transformer failed for starters, and why it failed with a primary to secondary short being the outcome.  That is a dangerous result.

Is there anything on the secondaries that could have caused an overloaded winding?

Do you know anyone that can tear down the transformer to inspect the faulty region?

trobbins said:
I would be worried about why the transformer failed for starters, and why it failed with a primary to secondary short being the outcome.  That is a dangerous result.

Is there anything on the secondaries that could have caused an overloaded winding?

Do you know anyone that can tear down the transformer to inspect the faulty region?

Yes that does worry me, the unit is about 15 years old, could have been just age or defect? the transformer has two (120v) primaries, one of these has the short to the (240v) secondary

customel said:
Yes that does worry me, the unit is about 15 years old, could have been just age or defect?

I don't think so, if it's shorted between primary and secondary something provoked that (not the transformer itself)

Sorry, i'm a bit slow with this stuff !

From the picture am I to infer that:

240V 70mA      = Red
3.5V-0-3.5V 3A = Yellow-Grey-Yellow
24V 50mA        = Purple
24V 50mA        = Green

dimebucker said:
Sorry, i'm a bit slow with this stuff !

From the picture am I to infer that:

240V 70mA      = Red
3.5V-0-3.5V 3A = Yellow-Grey-Yellow
24V 50mA        = Purple