Universal Audio SC-1 Hemisphere Mic Modeling Is a Behringer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

The latest modeling mic is basically a Behringer B-1. It uses the same capsule, it is made by 797 audio, they share the similar body, and measure 100% the same. Not sure if the circuit is exactly the same, but they are both flat circuits, and all the correction happens in the box. Good news is that this type of headbasket is more transparent, and nails the models 99% accurately FR wise, better than the original Sphere. The bad news is it's cardioid only, so no off-axis modeling, or multi pattern.

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/sc-1-standard-condenser-microphone.html

Last edited:
Hi kingkorg, thanks for posting this. Interesting isn't it? The UAD SC-1 gives the illusion of being "better" because of the cream painted body and lack of slightly fussy details on the B1, plus UAD's marketing of course. Which specific 797 capsule is it using, do you know?

Lagging behind you by many years (and probably many brain cells!) I am trying to build some L22/DLX/LX clones. I have an L22 from a few years ago and think it's decent, so I have all versions of the Sphere software. I have read your teardown and posts on this with great interest.

I am proposing to try to replicate the L22 (without the de-emphasis circuit) and use an EQ plugin before the Sphere plugin. My plan is therefore to use a 797 CY002 and a dual Alice OPA (to Jules Ryckebusch's design), in a Chinese 47 body with a 5 pin output. Do you have anything to suggest to get the best result?

One of the most expensive components is the capsule. USD 50 for each CY002. Not massive but. Do you think any other cheaper capsules might achieve similar results? Or am I best sticking with the CY002 in your view?

Do you think this still makes sense to build this? I am conscious of your comment that the SC-1 and Hemisphere is better at nailing the emulations than the L22.

Finally just to say thanks for your contributions, which I really enjoy!

Best
Adam

Hi kingkorg, thanks for posting this. Interesting isn't it? The UAD SC-1 gives the illusion of being "better" because of the cream painted body and lack of slightly fussy details on the B1, plus UAD's marketing of course. Which specific 797 capsule is it using, do you know?

Lagging behind you by many years (and probably many brain cells!) I am trying to build some L22/DLX/LX clones. I have an L22 from a few years ago and think it's decent, so I have all versions of the Sphere software. I have read your teardown and posts on this with great interest.

I am proposing to try to replicate the L22 (without the de-emphasis circuit) and use an EQ plugin before the Sphere plugin. My plan is therefore to use a 797 CY002 and a dual Alice OPA (to Jules Ryckebusch's design), in a Chinese 47 body with a 5 pin output. Do you have anything to suggest to get the best result?

One of the most expensive components is the capsule. USD 50 for each CY002. Not massive but. Do you think any other cheaper capsules might achieve similar results? Or am I best sticking with the CY002 in your view?

Do you think this still makes sense to build this? I am conscious of your comment that the SC-1 and Hemisphere is better at nailing the emulations than the L22.

Finally just to say thanks for your contributions, which I really enjoy!

Best
Adam
Hi Adam. Most of what you asked have i already posted somewehere on the forum. You can absolutely use EQ in post. Here's the curve.

https://app.box.com/s/nq2a3rsi961z8dimr6rra0t5fpm88by8

This is Takstar cts-2 capsule, it is just 1db different than 797 002. Not sure what the price is, you can contact them.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/whats-...ctured-capsules-direct-797.78212/post-1043198

Back