Slate ML-2 - the worst of it's kind

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

While i was positively surprised by the quality of build/emulations of their ML-1 modeling mic, i am puzzled how it is possible to do such a bad job with this one. This is by far the worst small diaphragm microphone i've measured ever.

I am surprised because there are couple of way better performing mics in this range, and their response is actually both flatter, and closer to ML-1 which is necessary for the mic to do what it's supposed to - model other mics.

For example, Takstar CM-60 is way flatter, based around same circuit, and closer to ML-1 curve. Slate ML-2 is produced by 797 Audio, and is basically pimped Behringer B5, but with worse capsule. While B5's capsule is quite decent, and pretty flat, ML-2's has this horrible dip in upper midrange and horrible low end response. I haven't included the 180° measurement, but at that exact spot where 0° dip is, there is huge spike in off axis response. So imagine how hi hat sounds when you use this mic on a snare 🤮

No need to imagine though there are lots of examples on the web.

The construction of ML-2 and B5 capsule is identical, just tuned differently, different spacers, and hole size.

While ML-1 is quite nice transformer coupled mic on it's own with no emulations applied, this is the worst pencil condenser i've ever seen. And they are supposed to be close, and both advertised as ULTRA LINEAR.

My advice for anyone thinking about or owning this mic is just use Takstar cm60, or Behringer B5. I guarantee better results, and even better emulation results. If you need a linear cardioid, get a Line Audio CM4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-225135_TeamViewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20211207-225135_TeamViewer.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211124_213644.jpg
    20211124_213644.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20211124_212456.jpg
    20211124_212456.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211124_212513.jpg
    20211124_212513.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 106
The insides look very similar to the t.Bone SC140 (which may or may not be a clone of the Rode NT55).

Anyone trace the different SD versions of this type circuit?

The reason I ask is there are more active parts on the PCB than a SD microphone with the kind of like a Schoeps circuit you often find in some SD microphones. So I am guessing it might be a different circuit than a Schoeps like.

The insides look very similar to the t.Bone SC140 (which may or may not be a clone of the Rode NT55).

I don't know if there's any connection to the T Bone SC140, but I have two of those cheap SC140 microphones and they sound pretty good.

Did some tests recently with three original Neumann KM84 mics against a variety of other SDC mics and the SC140 were the closest to the KM84, I never had used them that much before but I was impressed with the A/B results, the mic sounded great and it costs peanuts

The Noise floor? Behringer B-5 noise floor in VU is -24 dbvu. The Slate ml2 noise floor ?

The Noise floor? Behringer B-5 noise floor in VU is -24 dbvu. The Slate ml2 noise floor ?
I don't really trust those published specs especially not Behringer. No reason to trust Slate either as what's already published is not true.

Eu realmente não confio nessas especificações publicadas, especialmente no Behringer. Não há razão para confiar no Slate, pois o que já foi publicado não é verdade.
Yes true !!! The behringer b-5 microphone was measured by me. I have 2, an old one (better) and a new one (worse). The old version measured in the VU plugin had a noise floor of -42db. The new version had a noise floor of -24db. I almost bought a Slate ML2 but I was saved by this forum !!!

I would like to buy a large diaphragm microphone that has the same features as the Slate ML1. Any mic tips? Thanks to everyone on this forum.

I would like to buy a large diaphragm microphone that has the same features as the Slate ML1. Any mic tips? Thanks to everyone on this forum.
What do you mean? Whole modeling system, or just a mic you could use with Slate software?

I just wanted a microphone with the same hardware characteristics as the Ml1 slate. Some people say that this Ml1 microphone is very flat in the frequencies.
I have Acustica Audio Lava software and Slate Microphone Modeler.

Well, you are kinda in a wrong thread. There is no exact mic as Slate Ml1, but you can buy something like Alctron mc410 which is quite cheap, or Sterling Audio st51 if you want the transformer coupled mic and similar body. Change the capsule for the original one used in Slate mic from 797 audio. The exact model is mentioned in the following thread. And then use an EQ before the plug-in with curve like this to make it "flat". This is the same curve slate uses internally in the mic. You'll get the same exact result. You need to ask 797 audio directly through email to send you this exact model. Don't ask for Slate capsule, they won't reply, just ask for the model. I believe it's 30$ plus shipping.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/slate-ml-1-vms-microphone-guts-images.79079/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_224805.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_224805.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread!!! I appreciate the existence of this forum, the knowledge you have is amazing!!! I will be reading everything related to custom microphones!!!

Back