Update to Our Privacy Policy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

i have been receiving
"Update to Our Privacy Policy" emails coming from all over these days!
whats going on!

Most of these I just ignore because it means they will stop sending me stuff I don't want.

The new laws don't just apply to the internet. We visited out dentist a couple of weeks ago and had to fill in a new medical history form. On the back were various boxes you could tick or not to allow them to use this information for various purposes.

Hopefully this will stop shops from asking for your post code and email address when you pay.

Cheers

Ian

kambo said:
i have been receiving
"Update to Our Privacy Policy" emails coming from all over these days!
whats going on!
A new European regulation is just now going into effect. This is targeting big data like Google/facebook, etc. Many large companies are just doing it across the board instead of just in europe.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
A new European regulation is just now going into effect. This is targeting big data like Google/facebook, etc. Many large companies are just doing it across the board instead of just in europe.

The idea was to target the big data companies. But it puts a huge burdon on businesses of every size and even  on non-businesses, like homeowners renting out a small appartment.

It's ironic considering the massive privacy problems not addressed at all by the regulation, like government issued surveillance...

Spammers like the opportunity to send you mail too. They seem to think most people will dutifully reply, allowing them to send spam...

cyrano said:
Spammers like the opportunity to send you mail too. They seem to think most people will dutifully reply, allowing them to send spam...
from today's email garbage chute...

Dear Sir/Madam.
The management of Netherlands BankGiro Loterij sweepstakes Unit is pleased to inform you of our donation program designed to HELP BOTH THE RICH AND PEOPLE IN FINANCIAL DISTRESS. Let us help you today With our donations exchange project for which you can receive donations up to the tune of EUR 2,975,000 (Two Million Nine Hundred and Seventy Five Thousand Euro only) depending on our assessment. For example, financial assistance to help you with account settlement, unconditional basic income, pension provision, children future, social projects, Starting a new Business, expanding existing business, Own your own House, Pay off your mortgages, Own a new car, repairs, ownership of all kinds.

This is all without banks bureaucracies and credit query. Through Our Association "People Help People" (PHP) we can also help those who have a good financial future in investment that guarantees a 100% return monthly. Nothing is more important than  positive objectives. We build on honesty, transparency, cohesion and humanity. You can be our representative in your city/town and earn as much as EUR 2,800 (Two Thousand Eight Hundred Euro only) weekly. SIGN UP FOR A BETTER FUTURE TODAY BY SENDING US EMAIL WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER AND WE WOULD GET YOU STARTED. Remember we are stronger together, contact us NOW on our contact details below.

Best Regards
Mrs. Karima Asim Malak
Donation Coordinator.
Netherlands Office: +31-
United Kingdom Office: +44-

======
kidding do not respond... seriously this is a scam...

I have long argued for charging email postage fees... even 1/100 of a cent would put spammers out of business

JR

I had Neil Young follow me the other day on twitter. After which, he asked me if he could entrust me with a special suitcase that had two million six hundred thousand dollars in it; a special mission that he needed to entrust to one of his closest fans, as he didn't want his management knowing about it.

JohnRoberts said:
from today's email garbage chute...

Dear Sir/Madam.
The management of Netherlands BankGiro Loterij sweepstakes Unit is pleased to inform you

Thats pretty hilarious & but even more so pretty irritating that the BankGiro Loterij (one of our National Nuisances ) spams across the Atlantic as well.
Efforts to stop their paper- & e-junk in the various mailboxes are pretty ineffective, they just seem to ignore everything.

I doubt if that is really the Bankgiro lottery. Probably someone phishing for personal data from The Netherlands...

Melda Productions understands the problem and offers 20 € credit for those who update. One of the lists I signed up for and enjoy getting news from. And they have some nice free and affordable plugins.

cyrano said:
I doubt if that is really the Bankgiro lottery. Probably someone phishing for personal data from The Netherlands...

Could indeed be!
... then they've chosen not too bright a name actually, most people don't read past BankGi...  ;)

Back