The Current Impasse

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

I think it is fair to say that no-one is trying to enter Russia, North Korea or Iran illegally, probably more likely that a lot would like to leave. By contrast, the US and Europe are experiencing very high levels of illegal migration and this has caused problems of social cohesion. It takes decades to assimilate people from other cultures without losing your own. I don't blame people for trying, I guess most of them are looking for something better than they already have, but this post is not only about illegal migration, it is about the West's weak spot. The current impasse in the US congress is because aid for Ukraine and border controls are being tied together I believe. Although I am no Republican, I have started to see that in terms of threats to the West, they are linked. The West is strong militarily but is being torn apart internally by the consequences of illegal migration. The autocratic regimes I mentioned would like nothing better than the collapse of our democracies because civic freedom is an enormous threat to their rule.

I guess Biden does not want to look as if he has caved in on border policy, but to be honest, the future of the West is more important than any one man, but I could never vote for a man like Trump because he seems worlds apart from the integrity of a president like Abraham Lincoln who I would use as a benchmark for the most important job in the world. In the meantime, men are dying in Ukraine trying to hold back Russian aggression, because we have no ammunition to give them, what a crazy mess we have allowed to happen! But in the UK, The film Mary Poppins has been reclassified for re-release for its 60th annivesary, it is no longer classified as a U for universal, it is now a PG for parental guidance, why? because someone in the chimney sweep scene uses the word Hottentots, a word that most of us had no idea was a racial slur. It seems to this 74 year old white male, that while we continue to revise our history, our enemies our gathering and smiling as we self-destruct. This is the first time I have entered the Brewery for about 10 years, no doubt I shall soon regret it!
best
DaveP

3190d61d8fb6696a52c4ba146d45f534.900x448x1.png

Hi Dave. I hope your doing Ok these days. This immigration crisis seems to be intentional to me. You may not like trump but with an executive order he at lease slowed things down and Biden repealed that order within days of occupation of the white house. Biden Also stopped the building of the wall which may not be effective in all cases but at lease is better than the open gaps see today. And now Biden wants to stop Texas from protection of its border. 25 states have joined the Texas effort by pledging and sending national guard to Texas. It feels like a civil war not seen in my lifetime is brewing with hard opposite views. A slow train is coming that’s getting faster with every turn.

I think it is fair to say that no-one is trying to enter Russia, North Korea or Iran illegally, probably more likely that a lot would like to leave. By contrast, the US and Europe are experiencing very high levels of illegal migration and this has caused problems of social cohesion. It takes decades to assimilate people from other cultures without losing your own. I don't blame people for trying, I guess most of them are looking for something better than they already have, but this post is not only about illegal migration, it is about the West's weak spot. The current impasse in the US congress is because aid for Ukraine and border controls are being tied together I believe. Although I am no Republican, I have started to see that in terms of threats to the West, they are linked. The West is strong militarily but is being torn apart internally by the consequences of illegal migration. The autocratic regimes I mentioned would like nothing better than the collapse of our democracies because civic freedom is an enormous threat to their rule.
yup, typical political shenanigans. Wait for it, the pukes in congress have not passed a permanent budget bill for years, so another government shutdown is approaching. This is just another political trick to force through undesirable spending, and win political points.
I guess Biden does not want to look as if he has caved in on border policy,
In fact President Biden reversed almost every executive order that ex-President Trump wrote to secure our border. Our border went from the most secure in years to the current cluster fs_k. While the election is still 9 months away, border/immigration is polling as the top issue for most voters. President Biden or whoever is running that shop, has scheduled a border visit this week coincident with ex-President Trump's visit. The white house has floated the idea of restoring some of the previously reversed XOs but they are already getting pushback from their progressive wing.
but to be honest, the future of the West is more important than any one man, but I could never vote for a man like Trump because he seems worlds apart from the integrity of a president like Abraham Lincoln who I would use as a benchmark for the most important job in the world.
I don't believe you get a vote, are you a citizen? Foreign nationals do not get to vote here, yet. 🤔
In the meantime, men are dying in Ukraine trying to hold back Russian aggression, because we have no ammunition to give them, what a crazy mess we have allowed to happen! But in the UK, The film Mary Poppins has been reclassified for re-release for its 60th annivesary, it is no longer classified as a U for universal, it is now a PG for parental guidance, why? because someone in the chimney sweep scene uses the word Hottentots, a word that most of us had no idea was a racial slur. It seems to this 74 year old white male, that while we continue to revise our history, our enemies our gathering and smiling as we self-destruct. This is the first time I have entered the Brewery for about 10 years, no doubt I shall soon regret it!
best
DaveP
Yes, Ukraine , Gaza, and several other hot zones are a mess. The previous administration was anti-war and worked to starve bellicose nations from the means to wage war either directly (Russia) or through proxies (Iran). The current administration has failed to enforce sanctions allowing both Russia and Iran to fund their bad behavior with $Billions of energy sales. For one interesting comparison Russia GDP is growing at a 2-3% rate fueled by energy sales, Germany on the other hand is flat to contracting, suffering from high energy costs.

President Biden just blocked new LNG export terminals that could relieve the EU energy costs, while denying funds from Iran and Russia's war efforts.

JR

PS: Immigration law reform has been stalled for decades as both sides benefit from the status quo. This has been well inspected right here over the years. The problem now is that the historic border crossings are already against the law, so those existing laws should be enforced.

PPS: of course any reasonable discussion is welcome here.

Hi Dave. I hope your doing Ok these days. This immigration crisis seems to be intentional to me. You may not like trump but with an executive order he at lease slowed things down and Biden repealed that order within days of occupation of the white house. Biden Also stopped the building of the wall which may not be effective in all cases but at lease is better than the open gaps see today. And now Biden wants to stop Texas from protection of its border. 25 states have joined the Texas effort by pledging and sending national guard to Texas. It feels like a civil war not seen in my lifetime is brewing with hard opposite views. A slow train is coming that’s getting faster with every turn.
It has been intentional for decades. Very much by Republicans BTW. Increasing the supply to the labor market allows to keep wages down and in turn fuel the wealth pump to the top. At some point inequality gets so bad that the process reverses.

There are other aspects to it as well, all explained here:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Peter-Turchin/dp/0241553482

Hi Fazer, doing OK thank you.
I have heard the word "Texit" for the first time, did the US civil war ever end?
I think every country should and must control who enters, I think that if we don't, then we make an opportunity for fascism to get a foothold.
Even progressives must know this.
DaveP

I don't believe you get a vote, are you a citizen? Foreign nationals do not get to vote here, yet. 🤔
No, I am not a US citizen but like most of Europe and beyond, we are affected by what happens in your elections, hence my post.
DaveP

It has been intentional for decades. Very much by Republicans BTW. Increasing the supply to the labor market allows to keep wages down and in turn fuel the wealth pump to the top. At some point inequality gets so bad that the process reverses.
I agree entirely, our wages are kept low so that the guys at the top get their bonuses.
DaveP

I think it is fair to say that no-one is trying to enter Russia, North Korea or Iran illegally, probably more likely that a lot would like to leave.

Well, not really. I don't know about Iran and North Korea, but Russia does have the same problem with refugees.

Only, their solution to the problem is transporting them to the Finnish border and giving them a bicycle to cross that border. I haven't seen any reliable data about the number of refugees, but it was high enough to cause problems for Finland. They've also done that on other borders.

Adding to that problem, rich Russians have been buying property (especially small islands) in Finland and turning it into fortified homes. For a relatively small nation like Finland that is a real threat.

There are other aspects to it as well, all explained here:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Peter-Turchin/dp/0241553482
I’ve subscribed to some podcasts with interviews. Interesting.

Ya the 2 party is a uniparty these days with some representatives that challenge the will of the ruling class in congress. They are then branded as wack jobs by the party and media to oust them from power. Those wack jobs are the beginning of the collapse of this tyranny elite group arguing over what saves the planet while usually bolstering their investments.

In fact President Biden reversed almost every executive order that ex-President Trump wrote to secure our border.

I don't believe you.

My research shows Biden revoked only a few of those (Trump's ridiculous wall in EO 13767 is one of them). He did however, revoke a lot of other Trump EOs. Like the ones about internet censorship and a lot of EOs regarding climate change.

Maybe it's high time to learn how to research and form your own opinion in stead of keeping parroting right-wing propaganda? After all, you pretend to be an informed citizen, don't you?

I don't believe you.
then why keep asking?
My research shows Biden revoked only a few of those (Trump's ridiculous wall in EO 13767 is one of them). He did however, revoke a lot of other Trump EOs. Like the ones about internet censorship and a lot of EOs regarding climate change.

Maybe it's high time to learn how to research and form your own opinion in stead of keeping parroting right-wing propaganda? After all, you pretend to be an informed citizen, don't you?
http://eelp.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/Trump-EOs-Rescinded-Table_March-3-2021_EELP.pdf

Not a complete list, pretty much just from his first months/year in office. I don't generally accept homework assignments. This is from the conservative bastion, Harvard University :rolleyes: .

President Biden continues to reverse or embrace contrary policy, like fighting TX over their successful blocking of high traffic border crossings with razor wire. Blocking LNG exports is another recent example of poor policy (blocking the export of LNG could cause a glut and reduce domestic prices before the upcoming election).

JR

then why keep asking?

http://eelp.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/Trump-EOs-Rescinded-Table_March-3-2021_EELP.pdf

Not a complete list, pretty much just from his first months/year in office. I don't generally accept homework assignments. This is from the conservative bastion, Harvard University :rolleyes: .

President Biden continues to reverse or embrace contrary policy, like fighting TX over their successful blocking of high traffic border crossings with razor wire. Blocking LNG exports is another recent example of poor policy (blocking the export of LNG could cause a glut and reduce domestic prices before the upcoming election).

JR

Sorry, John. Your homework gets an F.

If you'd even read the title, you would have known it was a list of climate related EOs.

Sorry, John. Your homework gets an F.

If you'd even read the title, you would have known it was a list of climate related EOs.
that's why I don't like homework assignments

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/politics/biden-executive-orders/

CNN said:
President Joe Biden signed a flurry of executive actions in his first 100 days in office, primarily aimed at curbing the coronavirus pandemic and dismantling many of former President Donald Trump’s policies.
The executive actions include halting funding for the construction of Trump’s border wall, reversing Trump’s travel ban targeting largely Muslim countries, imposing a mask mandate on federal property, ramping up vaccination supplies, canceling the Keystone XL pipeline, ending federal use of private prisons and reversing Trump’s ban on transgender Americans joining the military.
In his first 100 days in office, Biden signed more than 60 executive actions, 24 of which are direct reversals of Trump’s policies.

Now President Biden's progressive fringe are complaining about his talk of restoring some of exPresident Trumps old XOs. In the coming campaign scrum I wouldn't be surprised to see more "Trump imitations" as AOC characterizes them.

JR

Last edited:
I don't believe you.

Maybe it’s time to back off your high horse no-it-all attitude dude. We actually live in this country.

Attachments

• A1F55FF1-1B21-45CA-BB65-30C4C3116B5D.jpeg
    A1F55FF1-1B21-45CA-BB65-30C4C3116B5D.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 0
When we disagree among ourselves, our enemies rejoice, this is just the point I was trying to make.

We have to accept that people have different views and find a way forward together in a common purpose.

In my experience, arguments are never won, the reality on the ground is what changes opinions.

Democracy is a hard game to play, the only thing harder is being under a dictatorship.

DaveP

Latest posts

Back