Using 2520 opamps upside down. Premature death?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golgoth

I got a BAE R53 lunchbox for a pair of vintage API 525C compressors.

To my surprise the module connectors in the rack are located at the top of the unit, meaning the modules are sitting "upside down" when installed, in regards of the components location on the pcb. I think the lunchbox was designed for specific BAE modules.

The components in the modules I have installed in the rack are facing down, including the 2520s. As many of you know, 525s are loaded with 3 opamps, these units create some heat! I am worried about exhausting my "Studio System Division" and "Melville" 2520s prematurely in that configuration.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking about flipping the rack over to have the modules circuits facing up. Won't be pretty but might help with heat dissipation a bit. Or am I being paranoid and the orientation wouldn't mind that much in such a packed unit as a 500 series module anyway?

Thank you for your insights!

I would be more concerned about the heat affecting surround components, rather than the opamps themselves. Many units orient the opamps vertically, and they seem to do ok. In API consoles, the opamps are sandwiched between two pcbs and I’ve only had one or two 2520s fail in a 32-channel console over the last 10 or 12 years.

Is the BAE rack vented? I’ve also had several BAE racks’ power supplies fail over the last several years, but the r53 doesn’t require much power for only 3 modules.

I would be more concerned about the heat affecting surround components, rather than the opamps themselves. Many units orient the opamps vertically, and they seem to do ok. In API consoles, the opamps are sandwiched between two pcbs and I’ve only had one or two 2520s fail in a 32-channel console over the last 10 or 12 years.

Is the BAE rack vented? I’ve also had several BAE racks’ power supplies fail over the last several years, but the r53 doesn’t require much power for only 3 modules.
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

The rack is not vented, I would be worried for the internal psu too if using the rack upside down.

Back