utc 0-16

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roly

Hi folks
I have an old tube amp with a brass plate on the back saying something like AT&T patents for public address systems. (not working)
Someone has modded one of the inputs with a UTC 0-16 and an xlr.
Is this transformer anything special?
Can someone suggest a fairly simple preamp to build using it? (if it's worth using)
I am not an electronics tech by any stretch of the imagination but I have done a fair bit of maintainence on 60s Fender amps.
cheers
Roly

it was a ten dollar xfmr back in the day, so....

your other costs will make it so you would not want to design something around that just because you have it, rather, you might want to consider a different transformer for a quality mic pre, as the ouncer is quiet, has low insertion loss, but not much (8 db) core for flux.

but, if you simply have to use up this free part, stick on any ol vac tube amp, but not line level.

so one bottle, g9, redd 47, ua 610, tele v72, could all use the 0-16.

Hi CJ
Thanks for your advice.
Looks like the old amp is bound for the mantle. I'll put it with some old army oscilator tube thing and a DB 110.
cheers
Roly

I've got an O-16 in front of a Hampton JFP mic preamp. It sounds great to my ears. I toyed with different zobel networks to smooth out the broad rise in the high end (see CJ's website for documentation), but ultimately left it out and use the hyped highs to my advantage. It makes an SM57 on a scream/shout vocals really cut through.

That's my experience with it. Don't write it off without hearing it. You might like it. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back