Valve mic preamp design incoherent rambling

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, total primary dcr of that transformer, with all windings in series, is only 352R

With the E81L biased for 20mA that's only 7V on the cathode. Your 200H chokes, albeit you don't need 200H here, have a much higher dcr which puts the cathode at a nice 50V or so.

Edit: parafeed your cathode output?
Edit 2: never mind, you already dissed that idea...

Last edited:
P.S. One thing with the choke loaded anode of the 6SK17 is that it will help PSRR as well as act like a constant current source (an imperfect one but nevertheless...) so the cascode stage will be more linear.
It's also a high gain stage which "may" be more than you want. One way you could reduce gain (besides degenerating the J-Fet more) is by giving it a stiffer restive load to work into.
A 100K or whatever ... from anode to ground.

A lundahl trafo is cheaper than a big ass choke and cap + parafeed trafo.
Agreed. I've always considered parafeed an economically-challenged solution.
Both the choke and the xfmr must have very low parasitic capacitance, and the combination of the choke's biased magnetic point and the xfmr's non-linearities are very challenging. I'm not neglecting the advantages of parafeed, but I think a SE xfmr can be made for a lesser cost than a choke+xfmr combo for equivalent results.
Of course, I can be completely wrong, since I have ceased using valves and xfmrs long since...:LOL:

I am not sure the output stage bias circuit will work unless the transformer primary has some significant dcr. The grid needs to be negative wrt the cathode.
Indeed. 7V is probably not enough. Adding a cathode resistor (by-passed or not) may solve the issue. Or find a way to apply fixed negative bias.

I'm not neglecting the advantages of parafeed, but I think a SE xfmr can be made for a lesser cost than a choke+xfmr combo for equivalent results.
Of course, I can be completely wrong, since I have ceased using valves and xfmrs long since...:LOL:

No you're not wrong. A good choke is an expensive item. And I'm not convinced that the inexpensive bigger inductance, lower current power supply chokes from Hammond etc. that folks have used is a good solution.
If you're going parafeed, I think you need to commit and buy a proper anode choke.

Personally, I would prefer using a higher H.T. supply and going solid-state loading if I were doing parafeed.
2 X £1.50 Mosfet's and a few resistors replaces your choke, use a nice Hi-Nickel non-gapped OPT

Last edited:
Yep, total primary dcr of that transformer, with all windings in series, is only 352R

With the E81L biased for 20mA that's only 7V on the cathode.
I looked at the E81L datasheet. For 20mA at 200V, Rk is only 120ohms. For 15mA, 180 ohms.
With 7V, it is nearly at cut-off.
I believe with 350 ohms, it would idle at about 11mA.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I looked at the E81L datasheet. For 20mA at 200V, Rk is only 120ohms. For 15mA, 180 ohms.
With 7V, it is nearly at cut-off.
I believe with 350 ohms, it would idle at about 11mA.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

TBH I didn't/haven't looked at the E81L data sheet, I didn't even factor in Rk, I just pulled numbers out of the air based on his biasing technique and the DCR of his transformer ie. he puts 7V on the top of the primary winding.

Sloppy advice but mainly to bolster Ian's point that the output transformer doesn't really have enough DCR to work into.
A DCR of 2K or so would be better.

Chokes, even the audio ones, used RF winding techniques (honeycomb, fractioned...)
Is there anybody left doing them?

The best I've found are the Lundahl. Specifically the 1668 with DCR of 680 for anode loading at various inductance values/current:

Attachments

• LL1668 Inductance vs RMS signal.png
    LL1668 Inductance vs RMS signal.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
the output transformer doesn't really have enough DCR to work into.
Why? You don't need voltage across a xfmr for it to work. You need current. In what is it different than putting the same xfmr in the anode?
I agree you need some DCR for cathode-bias to work. The datasheet shows perfect adequacy.

Yep I neglected the dcr side of the thing. I will stick to the parafeed line stage and resistor loaded cascade. It is a big challange to have many magnetic component in one chassi.

I will start a new build tread for this I just need to buy a few small components at the local electronics store👍

This is the new schematics

Attachments

• AA98BA51-5186-436D-A97A-CE5E74260FB8.jpeg
    AA98BA51-5186-436D-A97A-CE5E74260FB8.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Replacing parafeed choke with SE Trafo. A resistor in series with the transfomer mimicks higher dcr. Right. If we look at the v74 it has a 45H choke, dcr ca. 1k in the line stage. If a add a 670ohm resistor i series with the LL1671 (total cdr 1k) it will drop 20v at 20ma. In technical sense your are making the trafos parameter worse, but there is no practical reason not to do it right? A resistor i cheap and can put the cathode voltage were you want it. As long as you have enough primary inductance...

Latest posts

Back