Vari Mu Tube Matching Resource

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

I know this has been touched on before but I wondered if we could make a definitive resource page for this topic.

So the first point is that tubes should be matched within the circuit they are being used for - or if thats not possible in a test circuit which has the same biasing and load parameters.
Tubes should be tested at a few different grid bias voltages - the more the better.

We are talking about dual triodes or pairs of single pentodes(sometimes used as triodes)
In circuits where tubes are paralleled it is not essential for all to match exactly the same but they should be matched in complimentary push pull pairs. For instance 4 dual triodes which are very closely balanced in themselves between each side will work correctly.

Am I right in saying that current draw is the most important parameter to match?
Because if the two sides in a push pull gain reduction circuit have different current draw then this DC unbalance creates thumping in the circuit and poor frequency response in the output transformer. Gain is only worth considering if the two sides draw the same current.

In the case that sides have closely matched current draw but different gains what are the problems associated with this? Intermodulation distortion?
And for that matter - in any type of amplifier circuit?
Obviously gain is important in stereo mastering applications when considered as average gain from the entire gain reduction circuit.

I recently tested a batch of 6BC8 dual triodes.
Out of 20 tubes I really only had one that had a good balance at all operating points.
Most of them did not measure any better than 0.2ma imbalance between sides. That is at most of the operating points, balance was worse than 0.2ma.
And sure enough they did not sound good in the circuit. Trimming the cathode currents between sides did not improve anything.
What tolerance is generally considered workable? Equal or better than 0.05ma? 5%? 1%?

Recently I have read that a lot of people are finding it hard to get balanced 6BC8s in singles let alone batches.
The manufacturer of the Unfairchild limiter has even decided to stop using 6BC8s because of this problem.

Why is this.
Are any brands noted for their balancing of dual triodes?
Is 6BC8 a particular example. Perhaps it was not considered important to balance this particular tube because it was used mostly in a different type of circuit - cascode??
It was designed as a TV tuner tube and this was the primary market drive - any others were considered irrelevant.

I presume that when Datasheets for a particular tube specify use in Automatic Gain Control circuits that it is more likely that the manufacturers put a little more effort into balancing dual triodes.
For instance 6386 and the Russian 6N5P?
OR IS IT JUST THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES?

Any other points worth considering?
What are your experiences in matching bottles - particularly dual triodes.

> I presume that when Datasheets for a particular tube specify use in Automatic Gain Control circuits that it is more likely that the manufacturers put a little more effort into balancing dual triodes.

Only audio uses push-pull AGC. In an AM set, or a TV tuner, the AGC is single-ended. (Most modulations survive huge 2nd harmonic distortions.)

In the Golden Age of tubes, only a few hundred (maybe thousands) of audio limiters were made. This compares with many millions of radio/TV tubes. The market was teeny.

Yep that makes sense.

Has anyone noticed differences between manufacturers when it comes to balanced dual triodes?

Also have I understood all the points about matching vari mu tubes in my first post?

tardishead said:
So the first point is that tubes should be matched within the circuit they are being used for - or if thats not possible in a test circuit which has the same biasing and load parameters.

Tubes should be tested at a few different grid bias voltages - the more the better.
Yes on the in-circuit and yes on the more grid-cathode bias voltages the better. Very much so.

tardishead said:
We are talking about dual triodes or pairs of single pentodes(sometimes used as triodes)
In circuits where tubes are paralleled it is not essential for all to match exactly the same but they should be matched in complimentary push pull pairs. For instance 4 dual triodes which are very closely balanced in themselves between each side will work correctly.
Pentodes are the simpler case obviously.
Depending on your circuit config  ie. each triode of a dual envelope can be across the phases of the GR amp or parallelled on one phase only) you may need to do additional matching to get the best dual for the task.

tardishead said:
Am I right in saying that current draw is the most important parameter to match?
What you do when matching is vary the grid-cathode bias, in-circuit and measure the cathode current.

You need to get stable grid-cathode voltage at steps throughout the expected CV range.  ie. not 'dancing' about
You measure the current again when it is stable. Allow some settling time for each step.

Allow warm up time of at least 15mins for the whole rig when you change tubes.

You can do quick checks on each tube to get the basic set of candidate tubes. Some  will be eliminated easily.
The set left is the ones to do the detail measures on. You label each one and use a spreadsheet to record results.
Graphing as-you-go 'keeps you honest'  ie. any big errors will show up in the graph so you can redo 'as you go'.

tardishead said:
Because if the two sides in a push pull gain reduction circuit have different current draw then this DC unbalance creates thumping in the circuit and poor frequency response in the output transformer.
Yes, and yes.

tardishead said:
Gain is only worth considering if the two sides draw the same current.
Que? Not sure what you mean here.

tardishead said:
In the case that sides have closely matched current draw but different gains what are the problems associated with this? Intermodulation distortion?
Gain is not really considered 'per tube' - it is the result of the phase currents through the transformer primary and the voltages achieved at the secondary into a particular load.

ie. if the primary phase currents are as equal as possible and the transformer windings are reasonably symmetrical, the rest takes care of itself.

I'm not too sure of what the factors for IM are - others may be able to shed more light.

tardishead said:
And for that matter - in any type of amplifier circuit?
Obviously gain is important in stereo mastering applications when considered as average gain from the entire gain reduction circuit.

I recently tested a batch of 6BC8 dual triodes.
Out of 20 tubes I really only had one that had a good balance at all operating points.
Most of them did not measure any better than 0.2ma imbalance between sides. That is at most of the operating points, balance was worse than 0.2ma.
And sure enough they did not sound good in the circuit. Trimming the cathode currents between sides did not improve anything.
What tolerance is generally considered workable? Equal or better than 0.05ma? 5%? 1%?
Trimming cathode currents can be useful where the difference between phase currents is 'constant-ish'. You can see from your graphed results when this is the case and then you can trim the constant offset out for a better overall result.
But yes - it is not a substitute for matching across the whole range of operating points.

tardishead said:
What are your experiences in matching bottles - particularly dual triodes.
I did a bunch of stuff like this in my 'pmSix61' build thread in the 'dynamic processors ' thread  - lots of graphs and descriptions for pentodes wired as triodes.  http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51536.100

For dual triodes, as you say, much harder - just need to persevere or change tube type for one with better prospects for match.

Cheers

I found exactly the same balance problem when making an RS124/436.

I vowed I would never use cascode tubes in that way again.

What might be a better idea is to parallel the triodes in each tube and use two tubes instead of trying to find one balanced tube.

You probably have several "matched pairs" within your 20 tubes.  The gm would be doubled and the rp halved, mu stays the same.  The lower rp will make any interstage work better.

best
DaveP

Back