VCO with LDR (need a bigger alternative for the LDR)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ave Crux

Hi folks,

I’m not sure where else I can post this question, so hopefully i’m at the right place.

I’m currently working on a project where I have created a simple oscillator using a hex schmitt trigger IC (CD401016) and the pitch is essentially controlled by an LDR.

basically, I eventually want to make my “field of control” a lot bigger than one tiny LDR. i am thinking of having a big panel of this probably about 5 x 7 feet with a lot of these LDRs so that you can use your entire body to move around and block some of the LDRs to alter the pitch.

It seems that i can’t really figure out away to put these LDRs in a way where i can still use one oscillator in the schematic (attached on this thread, straight out a book haha). somebody suggested to me to use arduinos, which i wouldn’t be opposed to, but i’m still unsure how that will work.

one solution i thought was many i can use solar panels put in series and just put resistors in them to make sure it doesn’t overload, and the amount of light the solar panels would determine the pitch (since it’s a VCO), but i’m not sure how well this theory will work as well.

any help or direction would be appreciated! this has been troubling me for quite some time now. if i’m not articulating things more clearly please let me know and i will elaborate more

Attachments

• 3D9D656F-167E-4DF6-8673-9432C3BD0693.jpeg
    3D9D656F-167E-4DF6-8673-9432C3BD0693.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 14
The problem with using an array of photo-sensitive devices in a series/parallels arrangement will result in having a large proportion of them being either inactive or dominant, which will make very ineffective control. I think you should stick with teh single-LDR arrangement and resort to optical means, lenses, prisms, mirrors.

Latest posts

Back