Vinyl lives, and continues to grow

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
and being able to test-play stampers is a very nice thing for cutter and stamper mechanics to have.

Not sure how the LoC comes in. If they have stampers that they dunno what's on them,

Right now if there is a question about the quality of a stamper you go a generation back and listen to the mother. If the mother is clean you pull a new stamper. This doesn't exactly answer the question of whether the stamper is good. Most pressing plants don't have their own plating so have to rely on the electroplater to figure it out. Being able to rule out or in the stamper at the pressing plant if there is a problem is of great benefit.

I have been told by the LoC that there are historic recordings in which the sole copy is a stamper.

The two normal styli lapped on the side and joined together as shown in my drawing turns out to be exactly how they did it. I found an old Pickering patent for  that.

Now, I think if you just drop the tone arm down on the stamper it's going to fall into the land pretty much every time. I think
one will have to stop the turntable, carefully place the stylus over the inverse groove, then start it up.

So this is doable. We can do this.

If it happens i'll need some help from you, Richard. I'll need you to ship some unobtainium over along with your danish virgins for assembly. I have the used bank notes for you.
Les

Back