VP28 or VC528 ML for line level

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clbraddock

I would like some input on what would work better for me. Presently, I have built 4 VP28 and 2 VP312DI modules.

I really do not need any more mic inputs, but I like running signals from my DAW through the line inputs of the CAPIs (I modified the pad on the VP312 for -40db and 10k impedance)

My understanding is that both the VP28 and the VP312DI accept line signals via padding the signal and then sending it through the mic preamp circuit. The VC528 ML doesnt pad the signal since it is expecting a line level signal. Love the VP28 and VP312DI, but would I be better off doing VC528s for the rest of my 500 rack if I only want to use them for line level signals or am I over thinking it and should just keep building VP28s? Im thinking that the padding maybe increases the noise floor, but I could be wrong about that.

Personally I’d go for VP28s as they can do double duty as mic pres. I run VP28s at unity / line level after mic pre / eq / compression and they sound fine to me and I haven’t noticed excess noise.

Latest posts

Back