Ward Beck M460 Input Transformer Replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmolac

Hi im working on some m460 style channel strips from some ward beck parts and some diy’d modules, but i currently dont have any of the original hammond input transfos, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a suitable replacement, preferably something that’s still being manufactured and relatively affordable

Attachments

• 25E061D6-407E-4482-850C-8DE77C3C076A.png
    25E061D6-407E-4482-850C-8DE77C3C076A.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9E59DA2C-3E1D-4F0F-984F-D5C0E2593EB0.png
    9E59DA2C-3E1D-4F0F-984F-D5C0E2593EB0.png
    682.4 KB · Views: 0
Or Hammond 1140 series, i would send them schematic to see what they say.
I actually got a quote for them awhile back i think they said they couldnt use the original core material, didnt have info for the winding configuration, and it would be without the outer casing, which i dont mind much but min of 10 units at 80-100$ ea seemed a steep investment without knowing how theyll perform or if theres other options i could test out

That input is from OEP (bought by Carnhill) A187A series, tests by our member showed it performs well.
A187A81C might be expensive in the US, or did you find used one?
Another option are local Jensen or Cinemag who know Ward Beck, at least one of them often winds custom stuff at no additional cost.

That input is from OEP (bought by Carnhill) A187A series, tests by our member showed it performs well.
A187A81C might be expensive in the US, or did you find used one?
Another option are local Jensen or Cinemag who know Ward Beck, at least one of them often winds custom stuff at no additional cost.
I ve seen some available from online audio shops probably roughly 100usd shipped, I actually reached out to cinemag awhile back they werent able to produce a new version with the info the data sheet i have lacks, they recommend their https://cinemag.biz/mic_input/PDF/CMMI-5C.pdf ,which seems like a good option (80$ per) i wasnt sure if the secondary load impedance was too high or not

I couldn't decipher specifications like max level or frequency response either. CMMI-5C takes very high level at 20Hz, making it very, very clean.
Original is probably more similar to smaller Jensen JT-13K6-C or Cinemag CMMI-10B (in 1:5 ratio), i used 10B in original ratio for several projects where more color was needed than with CMMI-xC series. Some like Carnhill mic inputs for their sound, there are lots of options.
Post in the black market should get you appropriate transformer locally, prices are up to 70usd new, used less if it isn't vintage. Another option is joining Ward Beck group, although i doubt it is worth the effort.

Back