We don't need Tubes, what is it for????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
:eek: ;D, i'm thinking Fairchild 670------->DSP----------->Tubes+Led  ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqp4yTADoGo

We should send Vox this video, and say "it can work without a led you know" hahaha EDIT: This video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amZbwlglbto&feature=related

PS:BTW, i'm sure the tube is there for something of a little mojo, but it was fun to watch, as at the end those things are still
products that uses Tubes for the "hype".

I've known about the led and yes it's a pathetic trick. Behringer does this too. You still need the tube. None of the distorting amp models work without it. Only several of the clean models do, if I remember it correctly. In the video he also pointed out only some of the patches work (those that use the clean models).

Also changing the stock electro harmonics tube to something much better like Tungsol 12AX7 remake improves the sound a bit.

I'm a big fan of tonelab personally. About 1/3 of the models are gold (my favourite one is AC15 with a big cab), and capture playing dynamics better than any other modeller I've played. I don't use a pick so I'm especially critical about this.

The rest of the models are crap and the effects (stomp boxes and post amp) are especially bad and generic.

In one of the Berhringer 'tube' EQs we examined at our workshop, the tube was not in the signal path at all.

Only the heaters were connected, to make it glow, and I think they had an orange LED underneath it too!

It's a dirty trick but still, what do you expect for €100?

Yes true, for cheap price, don't expect expensive features....

On a side note, have you guys seen this old documentary? A pretty nice footage, maybe it has been posted here before? EDIT: I see that It actually has been posted before, anyway, for those who haven't seen it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvF89Bh27Y&feature=related

zebra50 said:
In one of the Berhringer 'tube' EQs we examined at our workshop, the tube was not in the signal path at all.

Only the heaters were connected, to make it glow, and I think they had an orange LED underneath it too!

It's a dirty trick but still, what do you expect for €100?

funny I had one on the bench once and when you pulled the tube the signal went away

There is a near religious believe that using a tube an an audio path will magically add mojo. I recall that while I was over product management at Peavey, I resisted the suggestions from my boss that we make one too.... (one of the several disagreements I had with management)....  After I stopped working in product management, they made at least one or two such lame offerings for that genre. 

I also recall several years earlier, when I was saddled with trying to sell off some slow moving inventory of actual full vacuum tube path small mixers, designed to support a premium guitar pedal rig.  Long story short I couldn't give these actual tube paths away, perhaps because they sounded too clean, and had an uncool logo (Peavey).

I still think the wannabe tube paths are only slightly less foppish, than the pursuit of real tube paths by boys who can afford more expensive toys.

But I am not a typical consumer.  No offense "tube" guys, I did support Peavey VMP and VCL premium tube studio products, because they did not suck and were a good value. I just can't stomach pandering to consumer ignorance with these psuedo-tube products.

JR

Case: Vox Tonelab

I had to verify this thing, it's been a while since I opened it up. When the tube is out the unit stays completely silent. I actually could not find any function that would produce sound without the tube. I think they have improved the DSP routing options if the guy in the video is able to get sound without the tube.

Anyway, the heaters get 5.9VDC which is ok. But the highest B+ voltage the tube sees is 15VDC. This is pretty damn starved plate. I guess they were just looking for some really nasty distortion to accompany the DSP side. Actually the way the tube was wired is plates are sitting at 0VDC and cathodes at -15VDC. Starved all the same. This does cast a dirty and smelly shadow over whatever claims of modelling "accuracy" Vox (actually Korg who subcontracted this thing) is boasting in their Tonelab literature. Apparently this tube is sitting at the "power amp" modelling stage, preamps and final output with speaker models are all digital. I guess it's as good place to add distortion as any.

And sounds good at times.

Another dirty little secret, a well designed tube path doesn't sound dirty....  however consumers expect such a product to sound dramatically different.

It seems the promise that is being marketed, is different than the reality delivered.

A tube "effect" path that sounds clean is not going to sell very well either, so the customers are pretty much getting what they demand, more or less, mostly less.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
however consumers expect such a product to sound dramatically different.

For some 20 years marketing departments of all major prosumer companies have been telling people that. Since there is no reliable reference for the common street dweller it's accepted as a fact. What's a little extra x-mas light if it makes people happy. It could be worse. It could be that all major electronics manufacturers design in an artificially short life span for all their products. The whole world has been taught that electronics products break very easily and you're supposed to by a new "improved" model. Again, the reference is missing.

EEMO1 said:
nashkato said:
Aaargh , cannot look at how he removes the tube

that was exactly my reaction! is he really using a screwdriver!?

Well the guy looks more like a Guitar gear addict than a tecky, you're asking for too much  ;D.
Yes i believe it was a screwdriver, surely not the most adapted way of doing this for sure...

Back