We measure mic cables in spl now.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

showed as similar items on amazon.
Hi fi quality… they may have measured their speaker or marketing said “put a graph in there, that sells more units”

Attachments

• 8101108C-2BA4-4891-84C6-9828EDBD4A35.png
    8101108C-2BA4-4891-84C6-9828EDBD4A35.png
    358.5 KB
the saddest part is it probably worked

JR
indeed. According to additional photos this cable is good for mike, microphones, DMX, etc. While the mike and microphone are just a translation error the fact they say DMX as well is a good one. just because it shares an XLR connector, one should not use it as such.

I make it work all the time on small gigs. But you can have problems when connecting to many lights. Use of an active splitter and proper terminations can help.

Thomas

Yes, they are. Which is why i mentioned they said that. It’s asking for trouble if you ask me.
I'm pretty sure that you can use DMX cable for audio, but not audio cable for DMX. DMX cable has lower capacitance, seeing as there is "square wave data" cycling at 250khz to convey information. An audio cable would result in a triangle wave form for DMX data, causing incorrect or no data transfer. I wonder if a DMX cable is "brighter" than a mic cable...

Most DMX gear these days doesn't care and will work happily with mic cables. Some cable vendors don't even know there's a difference.

If you have a large/complex setup with long cable runs, you will end up in trouble though, especially with older lighting gear.

Even the dreaded USB to Firewire cable is still on sale, I noticed a couple of days ago. That cable only works with a handful of handheld consumer video camera's from many years ago. Not with anything else.

Back