Western E. 111c as API 512 output

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

Hi all
You can wire the 111c 150:600.  Would this work for an API 512 type preamp?  Obviously not in a 500 format.

It will work, the 2520 will drive almost anything you can strap onto the output.

The question is why?  The 111c is super low distortion and coloration and the whole appeal of API pres is lots of distortion from the 2520 and the sound/flavor of the cheap steel transformers.

Agreed.  Though, similarly if you were doing a bus amp thing a 990C with a 111-C might be cool. 

sounds like a fantastic idea!  wonderful transformer with insane bottom end, would be great on a kick drum or for micing a bass cab, flat response would be wonderful for vocals, would roll off earlier than the quad filar job and have less phase shift for less ear fatigue, low loss toriod core with balanced windings ,

only drawback is the fabric served wire, that cloth can become pretty ratty after a while, 

Someone at Gearslutz had pics of a 990 preamp they built with a pair of UTC LS-30's, if I recall.  Ridiculous oversized thing. 

I have these ADC 111c transformers that are  very large.  I'll try them and see on the summing bus of my API.  I like the sound of the 2 mix in this console but it's because there is no output channel transformer on 2 mix in the channel strips so more transparent.  The more transformers you go through the less focus the image has. 

Latest posts

Back