What am I doing wrong?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If pads and cooper tracks are big (or pads connected to ground plane), you have to heat the pad first (for some time) and then heat pad + component lead, apply solder like thermionic said. Heating the pad should not heat the component too much, so could be heated longer

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. When I got this kit I was really confident I could pull it off. I guess you just have to relearn some stuff after not practicing for five years.

Also- I get really scared about too much heat. Re-soldering isn't going to burn the shit out of anything and fry it, right?

Timh said:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. When I got this kit I was really confident I could pull it off. I guess you just have to relearn some stuff after not practicing for five years.

Also- I get really scared about too much heat. Re-soldering isn't going to burn the sh*t out of anything and fry it, right?

The "power" of an iron is irrelevant. What matters is tip temperature. What usually happens with soldering tools which are not temperature regulated is that the tip goes cold the instant you touch it to the work.

This is the reason why we spend $300 on soldering kit instead of $30. (Tips for my Metcal cost more than your Weller iron.) This isn't meant as disrespect -- it's just what it is.

Also, flux is your friend.

-a

I see. Well I suppose it's better I'm ruining 3$ tips than 30$ tips while I'm still learning. I have definitely been looking into getting a new iron though. I think my girlfriend gets the hint with my birthday right around the corner.  8)

Alright. So I got home from work and started watching some tutorials. I went to re-solder my bad joints, and I noticed that when I held my iron to the lead AND pad the solder would get sucked through to the other side and make a beautiful small cone. I've only done about 10-12 joints and they look a lot better, and I haven't had to use so much solder since there was already so much as a bubble. SHOULD I KEEP DOING THIS? This is good, right? I don't need to use much more solder than what's already on the joints.....right guys?

If the solder is flowing smoothly and quickly, it's just fine. Don't get too carried away with using too much solder. Although it's not going to hurt anything, it's ugly and wasteful.

People get all huffy about cheap soldering irons... If you have a good hot tip, you can work miracles with a small 30 watt cheapy. There ARE situations where having a temp controlled tip is important, but for this kind of work, don't waste the money, IMHO. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Awesome. I feel much better now. I'm gonna have some Ninkasi's with some friends tonight and get right to it tomorrow morning. What a great way to spend a Saturday.

gemini86 said:
Ninkasi? Now I want one.

Where you located? Somewhere in the NW I'm assuming.

SF, actually. But I do have plans to move to Portland in the near future.

I would soon be an alcoholic if I lived there, I've heard too much good about the beer they make. Most American IPA's that reach our shores tend to be awesome.

I just had a Flying Dog "Dead Pony Club", something they call a "californian pale ale". One of the best IPA's I've had in a while.

[edit]

whoops, that was the dead pony talking. It's by BrewDog.

Easily confused to Flying Dog. Their Snake Dog is a great IPA, too.

Brew dog really are a bit awesome. We very much like their Punk IPA too, although you tend to know about it in the morning!  :eek:

Kingston said:
I would soon be an alcoholic if I lived there, I've heard too much good about the beer they make. Most American IPA's that reach our shores tend to be awesome.

I just had a Flying Dog "Dead Pony Club", something they call a "californian pale ale". One of the best IPA's I've had in a while.

[edit]

Ironically (or not) beer does not travel well so the IPA (India Pale Ale) was engineered to survive the long boat ride so the Brits in India could get some suds from home that wasn't trashed by the long transit in an unrefrigerated boat hold. The IPA style is higher alcohol and higher hop content, both preservatives. I suspect people are attracted to the higher alcohol content more than the extra bitterness from over-hopping.

Odd to hear about American beer being exported, but that is good thing compared to the American beer we were known for when I was young and still is consumed by the mass market.

Enjoy, I'm brewing up a 5 gal batch of stout, still on my stove. Now that's DIY  8)

JR

Trench Recordings said:
there's some decent videos post on hairball audio site.

http://www.hairballaudio.com/solder/

Those are the ones I watched. Awesome stuff.
JohnRoberts said:
Kingston said:

[edit]

Ironically (or not) beer does not travel well so the IPA (India Pale Ale) was engineered to survive the long boat ride so the Brits in India could get some suds from home that wasn't trashed by the long transit in an unrefrigerated boat hold. The IPA style is higher alcohol and higher hop content, both preservatives. I suspect people are attracted to the higher alcohol content more than the extra bitterness from over-hopping.

Odd to hear about American beer being exported, but that is good thing compared to the American beer we were known for when I was young and still is consumed by the mass market.

Enjoy, I'm brewing up a 5 gal batch of stout, still on my stove. Now that's DIY  8)

JR

The pack of Ninkasi IPA was missing 2 bottles when I pulled it from the fridge at the store. So I snuck an oatmeal stout in place of one IPA. Am I a bad person?  ;) I can't wait to move to Portland and DIY some delicious brews with my brother. He makes some good ones.

JohnRoberts said:
The IPA style is higher alcohol and higher hop content, both preservatives. I suspect people are attracted to the higher alcohol content more than the extra bitterness from over-hopping.

I'm in it for the hops. The way I see it if there's too much alcohol the night will be short and I get to sample less. These dead pony club and snake dog happen to be great opposites, by the way, with the one featuring double the percentage of the other.

As far as the exports from the states, it's a small scale operation overall. You have to know the roughly 5 bars and a few stores in the whole of Helsinki that feature any (they have all the other important countries as well). As far as I remember before this millennial it was Bud (light) only or perhaps Anchor Steam Beer in a more enlightened pub. No red dog or any of the other commoners I know from (Santa Rosa) high school days.

Right now we are seeing the scraps of the microbrewery explosion. Damn good ones at least.

Random question- How come when I search the part number (K103K15X7RH5TH5) for the X7R ceramic cap on Mouser it comes up as a multilayer and not the same one that came in the kit?

Whoever made the kit probably forgot to paste the whole title. And it won't make a difference either way. This is a bog-standard part. You can replace it with any X7R cap that fits the size constraints.

In fact you could replace it with any 0.01 uF ceramic cap and it will take an actual real life ninja to figure out the difference.

Kingston said:
Whoever made the kit probably forgot to paste the whole title. And it won't make a difference either way. This is a bog-standard part. You can replace it with any X7R cap that fits the size constraints.

In fact you could replace it with any 0.01 uF ceramic cap and it will take an actual real life ninja to figure out the difference.

Cool. Thanks.

Kingston said:
JohnRoberts said:
The IPA style is higher alcohol and higher hop content, both preservatives. I suspect people are attracted to the higher alcohol content more than the extra bitterness from over-hopping.

I'm in it for the hops. The way I see it if there's too much alcohol the night will be short and I get to sample less. These dead pony club and snake dog happen to be great opposites, by the way, with the one featuring double the percentage of the other.
Indeed... hops are a strong anti-oxidant (like Vit C) so they neutralize free radical like a good health food...

I found when I drink high proof beverages in social settings I sometimes go to sleep before I go home. Never a good way to make an impression at a party or on a date. Drinking beer I can generally still be around to watch the sun come up, if the keg doesn't go empty first.
As far as the exports from the states, it's a small scale operation overall. You have to know the roughly 5 bars and a few stores in the whole of Helsinki that feature any (they have all the other important countries as well). As far as I remember before this millennial it was Bud (light) only or perhaps Anchor Steam Beer in a more enlightened pub. No red dog or any of the other commoners I know from (Santa Rosa) high school days.
I think Anchor Steam is more of a marketing story than a great beer. Strike one it's a lager... (sorry). Strike two it's not even cold-lagered (to reduce fruity tasting esters). It's OK for a lager fermented at too warm of a temp, but ... so? 
Right now we are seeing the scraps of the microbrewery explosion. Damn good ones at least.

In Europe you don't need a microbrew explosion. Grab some great Trappist ales from Belgium.

When I was over in Germany in 1970 (on NATO maneuvers) every small town gasthaus brewed their own bier and it didn't suck.  The whole county used the same flip-top beer bottles. After the NATO exercise you could see truckloads of empty boer bottles on the autobahn heading back in the opposite direction the US military traveled.  8)

Many good beers all around the world.

JR

kE99F00.jpg

5 LED's and no explosions! She works! Thanks for the help guys.

...now if I could only figure out how to put on the 7-pin jack at the end of the cable...

Back