What is Brick Nogging on Component Parts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Hi, I'm trying to get parts for a PCB, and some of the parts come up as "brick nogging."

The parts look like they just have a cap over them - but I'm nervous. I don't want or need the cap, but if it's just removable it's no big deal.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm attaching 2 pix; one is a "normal" part and the other has same specs but is called "brick nogging." I don't want to order the PCB to be made and discover I got some weirdo part that ruins the whole board.

TIA,

Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 5.34.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 5.34.21 PM.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 5.34.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 5.34.13 PM.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2
Those provide flat surfaces that enable the little rubber vacuum-head of pick-and-place machines to, well, pick and place them, from the reels they come in, to the boards they belong on/in. They are, of course, removable (and they should be; otherwise, the mating connector is unlikely to fit).

Kinda hard to get a good airtight seal with a flat suction-cup onto the tips of pins, I'm sure you'll agree..? And infinitely faster (and cheaper) than to have them manually placed from a bag.

Makes total sense! Thank you so much Khron!

I’m not clear why they would advertise them with pix like this however. You can’t really see the part!

Thanks again, I feel better ordering the brick nogging version since the normal looking one is out of stock.

some of the parts come up as "brick nogging."

That is a strange term, I think I have usually seen them labeled as pickup cap. Some parts come with a strip of thick Kapton tape covering openings for a similar reason.
I just checked the first similar header I could find pictured with a cover at Digikey, and it was just noted as "pick and place" in the part attributes.

The kapton tape sounds much more practical...

I have never seen anything like that plastic clip(?), Is it reusable?

[edit- the labor savings from machine pick and place vs manual placement is huge, so even discarding the plastic bit is probably still economic. /edit]

JR

Latest posts

Back