what is the mt. everest of diy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badperson

Newbie here, just getting started.

I'm curious, I've heard the fairchild 670 is tough to clone, what are the toughest diy projects?

Are there certain units that are just beyond the reach of diy? converters maybe?

Are there projects you worked on that you couldn't get to sound as good as the original/pro models?

thanks!
bp

have to agree with jaakko...a big (50ch+)console would be a real challenge...

Are there projects you worked on that you couldn't get to sound as good as the original/pro models?

my clones tend to sound better than the originals :green: :green: :oops:

steff

Cloning a 670 is tough because the 6386 tubes go for way too much money, and without a reference it's tough to know if any sub is close. Manley uses the 6BA6 wired in pairs as a sub for the 6386, and that's what I did for my '660-like' compressor. Also, many remaining 6386 tubes will not be well matched from side-to-side, so you may end up with an unusable compressor - one that thumps and oscillates. Sowter offers the 660/670 transformers, but it'll be about $1000 for transformers for a 670, plus I've seen 6386 tubes go for over $100 apiece - and you need eight of them - so that's $800+ worth of tubes right there. The other tubes are easily available, but it's an expensive DIY project.

I would say the toughest thing to DIY is going to be any DSP-based stuff. Not impossible, but most modern DSP's have a $6,000 starting price tag to get the development tools you need to get anything serious going. And at those performance levels, 4 (or 6 or 8) layer boards are needed. I was toying with the idea of building a convolution reverb at one time, but the cost of doing that as a DIY project was prohibitive. I've been toying with the idea of a 64 to 128 channel 96kHz DSP mixer, but the cost of doing that project as a DIY would be quite high as well.

A DIY analog large-format console would be a bit expensive, considering the cost of faders and pots. I priced it out one day, and it was too much money for my budget.

I'd say an analouge tape recorder - or even a decent tape echo - is out of reach for most DIY.

But yes, the DSP-stuff is also prohibetively hard - not only the physical realisation, but the math skills needed to do anything efficient is huge.

Jakob E.

you can probably build anything, I always judge my builds based on how much parts + labor will cost me vs. just going to buy a new or used version of something if Im building a clone. A 660 is expensive to build, but its also expensive to buy, so you kind of lose both ways... Once you are spending a few grand on a DIY, its wise to consider the resale. You might be able to build a 660 for under $10K, but you wont be able to sell it for too much. If you bought a 660 for $20K chances are you wont lose a penny when you sell it, so even though its twice the price, it may be the more economical decision.

Personally, I think the mt. everest of diy would probably be mt everest. Actually, building a volvcano is probably harder.

dave

The DIY Apollo program....there's something that maybe can't even be cloned today!

Cheers,

Kris

PS: Though I must say that Bert Rutan has done real well with 'Spaceship 1'

[quote author="soundguy"] Actually, building a volvcano is probably harder.
dave[/quote]

Nah!
That's easy...

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_models/eruptions.html

:thumb:

A full-scale model of the universe.
Sorry, I'm all one-liners today.
I guess in terms of audio, the full-on Mt. Everest of DIY would be a recording path that went from sound-in to sound-out, with good acoustics.
In more complete DIY terms, you would have to buy property, build the room, build and install the gear, crochet a poncho, sew up some funky polyester pants, make candles and brew the beer.

i don't think there is really a great deal of point cloning a 670. theres alot of tubes not in the signal path, and the transformers are tough. plus i can't see it sounding alot better than a 175 or similar.

just out of interest anybody tried building a 175 with 6bc8's wired in parrallel fairchild style?

i think the most difficult DIY project EVER would be a diy all tube computa, charles babbage(?) style. I don't think even charles got his working....... :roll: :roll:

i think i found the Chicago Transformer output for the 670, but the Sowter one is supposed to be more stable.
10% tertiary winding on output.
6V6 plate to plate

probably A10 input with A33 shield, Triad HS-50 signal output,
Triad HS ?? which I will not discuss til i get a pair, and the Chicago output.
about a thousand bucks for iron alone.

I wound my own control transformer using a Hammond 125E as a starting point. It wasn't too hard, but it came out a bit messy though. It seems pretty stable in the circuit. If you have stability problems you can diddle with the feedback caps that come from the output tube plates. Raising those a bit can tame an ill-behaved transformer (within reason). I used Hammond input and output iron (850N) as I had these lying around, though the output transformer gets quite warm with the DC current flowing through it.

> what is the mt. everest of diy?

All respect to the "cloners" here, who try to preserve or recreate the best of the past: cloning is not the pinnacle of DIY.

Think: where did those "classic" boxes come from? Under a cabbage bush? Fell from the sky? No, some person or group developed, built, refined, and promoted each one. And in many older designs, there was some one person who "DIY"ed. Sometimes alone, sometimes with a machine shop and soldering technician handling the dreary details. Recently design/development tends to look like a team effort, but there is usually some one person who is the "heart" of the project who "DIY"s it.

Most of us here "dabble" with spare change and odd time. Much much more can be done than most of us do. My father built vacuum-tube computers in college (they didn't work so well). How do you think the first Apple Computer, H-P 200, and most of the progressive 1960s recording consoles were made? In shops much like yours, if you became compulsive about your project. Mostly a few people in a garage or loft. How were the first McIntosh amps, Olsen ribbon-mikes, Neumann condenser mikes made? In shops hardly different from personal playgrounds. I have been in the building where Olsen developed his acoustics for RCA. Many years later my father worked on the early RCA transistor computers in the same building. A flip-flop was a card that looked a LOT like the Flickenger amp discussed on the former forum. In that place, the engineers were not allowed to touch a soldering iron and the union solder techs were not allowed to think, and all projects had a team, but this is still "DIY", just with more hands to help/interfere. Even the Apollo moon-rocket is arguably the "DIY" of von Braun. He didn't invent the rocket, but he organized ideas and people and funding for 50 years through changes and collapses of governments.

I love the past and love people who try to keep it alive. But "DIY" can and should and does encompass completely original work (as original as possible in a field where you have to stand on the backs of giants and piles of midgets).

> diy all tube computa, charles babbage(?) style. I don't think even charles got his working.......

No he didn't, and Babbage's Engines were intended to be steam powered. His small working models were hand-cranked. Expanding the mechanism so it could do work faster than a human looked obvious, but was at the edge of 19th century machining skills and beyond Babbage's budget. Mechanical computers working on quite different principles were made in the 1930s. The art of very fine machining at the scale needed in a Babbage Engine just didn't happen, though a museum has recently managed a working bodge after much time and expense.

[quote author="gyraf"]I'd say an analouge tape recorder - or even a decent tape echo - is out of reach for most DIY.

Jakob E.[/quote]

It's funny you should mention a tape echo, have you thought about making one or was it a random analogy?

I was thinking a tape echo wouldn't be too difficult (a multi or 2-track recorder would be a bastard to make I would think). If you don't mind mono you can find nos mono 1/4" heads (there isn't exactly much call for them, although I guess you might want a stereo echo).

The motor would be a tricky one, I was trying to think if you could salvage one from a DD record deck, but I guess you'd probably want a large brushless motor from an old reel machine.

The guides could be made on a small run cnc, or you could use spares for reel machines.

Electronics would be the easy part :)

Can't see myself finding the time in the immediate future to make such a device, but I do think a diy tape echo could be a hoot to build.

edit: Doesn't look like the Magitec machine was ever released, but it looks fairly practical for a diy job to me: http://homepages.enterprise.net/greenworld/contact.htm

Cheers,
Justin

How about this SPL mastering console
Look at the diagrams on page 32
http://www.spl-usa.com/MMC1/2160_BA_E.pdf

Look at this sight for what it looks like.....
http://www.spl-usa.com/MMC1/in_detail.html

Back