what to build with these transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after talking to some more techs. it seems that these are actually 600:600+600. the 300/1200 is made by connecting the secondaries in series or parallel. so they should work in many applications as simple 600:600  balancing transformers i guess. am i right?

as long as the 12dbm thing isnt messing everything up. but none of the gardners speced better and people seem to like them still.

salomonander said:
after talking to some more techs. it seems that these are actually 600:600+600. the 300/1200 is made by connecting the secondaries in series or parallel. so they should work in many applications as simple 600:600  balancing transformers i guess. am i right?

No, it is not like resistors, impedance is based on the number of turns ratio squared. Both 300 outputs have the same number of turns, in parallel they still have the same number of turns, just effectively heavier wire.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't trust myself these days.

Going in the 600, you have an output choice of -3dB, or+3dB, that sounds like something that could come in handy.

Gene

thanks Gene,

can anyone tell for certain. are these 600:300/1200 or 600:600/600.
im super confused. could i somehow test this with a multimeter?

cheers

"denoted parallel/serial connections" it says in regard to the 300/1200. so is it a 600:600+600 after all?

Attachments

• gardners.jpg
    gardners.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 12
thanks mate. im doing something even more carzy atm :) building some pigtails and simply running audio through the darn things. if they are 1:1 i should get out what i've put in i assume.... ill report back

alright. testing done. certainly not very scientific. just by ear. i seem to be getting a drop of about 3-4db when inserting them. i guess this might be due to the fact that im driving them from my converter directly which is a low z output?
but the secondary windings are certainly the same. i get the exact same level on both. so i guess 600:600+600 after all. if anyone knows better please let me know.

oh - and these things sound really really cool btw. they do slightly saturate when driven hard. but it just sounds great and takes off some of the transient detail i want to loose anyways....

Latest posts

Back