Whatever happened to nydave

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Does anyone know the official story aside from he stopped posting here and his post got pulled?

Got reminded of him the other day when this came up elsewhere.

Urban lore says he got fed up with his designs being ripped off so decided to leave and take his cintent with him.

Cheers

Ian
Yes that part I knew. But I heard other news that I was hoping to prove correct or wrong. I won’t say what that was because at this point is rumor. Is all.
I do miss seeing him at aes and all the egg creams and pizza.

Yes that part I knew. But I heard other news that I was hoping to prove correct or wrong. I won’t say what that was because at this point is rumor. Is all.
I do miss seeing him at aes and all the egg creams and pizza.
There is absolutely no doubt he was a great designer and a great person. I wish him well.

Cheers

Ian

Yes… I spent many an aes hanging out with Dave. Others did as well. Dave showed us the real nyc. Biergartens one time, egg creams at Gem spa, totono’s the best pizza in ny out at Coney Island.
Why not call him? Or write an email. Just talking out of my ass, really...

Why not call him? Or write an email. Just talking out of my ass, really...
I sent an email. Not sure if he's still using that old account. Looking back at our communications back then reminded me of another precipitating incident, but I'm not dredging that up again. Suffice it to say that there were probably several factors that caused Dave to decide to stop participating actively. He's a good guy and shared several interesting designs of his own along with insights into his design rationale.

<edit> Email bounced. I guess he stopped using his old yahoo account.

Could even change the title to "what ever happened to....."

Maybe there's a pattern somewhere.... After a brief back and forth with Mr. Foote it was clear he had quite a disdain for something here and it was surprising how bothersome it still seemed since the conversation wasn't too long ago...

Losing Heikki was another big loss imo...
Maybe the titans can be set in their ways and when traces are damaged, no jumpers are allowed to be used which leaves too daunting a task for most to tackle.

I sent an email. Not sure if he's still using that old account. Looking back at our communications back then reminded me of another precipitating incident, but I'm not dredging that up again. Suffice it to say that there were probably several factors that caused Dave to decide to stop participating actively. He's a good guy and shared several interesting designs of his own along with insights into his design rationale.

<edit> Email bounced. I guess he stopped using his old yahoo account.
I just want to point out that I don't know how can someone post a new design on the internet, and later complain that it was later stolen

Last edited:
I get

I just want to point out that I don't know how can someone post a new design on the internet, and later complain that it was later stolen
If they make it clear that the design is theirs and can only be copied for personal and not commercial use eaxactly as I do for my open source PCB designs which are freely available on the internet.

Cheers

Ian

If they make it clear that the design is theirs and can only be copied for personal and not commercial use eaxactly as I do for my open source PCB designs which are freely available on the internet.

Cheers

Ian
Ian, don't be naïve. If you post a design on an internet forum, you can't complain that it was stolen. Come on. If you want to prevent that you go through the correct procedure, either patent it or whatever, but to think that a fine print saying "Do not steal it" is enough, is totally disingenious.

Ian, don't be naïve. If you post a design on an internet forum, you can't complain that it was stolen. Come on.
So far only one of my designs has ever been stolen and just the one time. So maybe the protection does work or maybe all my designs are just not worth stealing.

Cheers,

Ian

Seems like the thrill of DIY has changed in value since 2006-2010 time period. Also seems like the value of music has changed at least for me these days. I still play with my gear but feel like I was naïve in my thoughts of the past the zeitgeist have left the building. I get little glimpses of the past when I smoke a bowl but after an hour I’m ready for a nap. Hahaha 😴😴💤💤

The stealing of work was but one of the factors and was not related to the incident I mentioned. Times were different and this community was very different in 2005-08 than it is now.

So far only one of my designs has ever been stolen and just the one time. So maybe the protection does work or maybe all my designs are just not worth stealing.

Cheers,

Ian
Well, in my opinion, if I don't want any intellectual property being stolen, I register it, either copyright or patent, and don't post it over the internet for everyone to see. But if I happen to do post it, then I know that I shouldn't complain that it was stolen. That is my personal opinion, but I digress..

There was more of a " one for all " sharing sentiment in earlier days, One could say this started with Gyraf's original generosity sharing the ssl comp & pultec projects. As people got things done for them, it changed from sharing to selling as they spring boarded grp buys into businesses and now use build threads here as customer support. Definitely different vibe now though like anything it grows changes de-evolves mutates. It's tough to control though you can try to guide, still a lot of good people here, Thanks to you all!

The wealth of experience here is remarkable but answering the same questions over and over gets old.

The new guys need to step up and help the newer guys (some are, some aren't).

I dislike people asking for fully designed solutions, but will assist someone trying to learn how to solve some problem when I can.

JR

Back