What's happened to the like button

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Justin. Good to hear from you
I hope you've been too busy to post, knee-deep in mics...
Exactly that - the ribbon mic thing has really snowballed and is generally enough to fulfil my craving for solder fumes each day.  If there is time left after emails and admin then I try to get out on the bike and clear the lungs,
... didn't get affected by the flooding in your neck of the woods.
The floods were scarily close. Thankfully we are on a small rise so stayed safe. A lot of York businesses really suffered this time around - some shops and restaurants are still closed and will probably never get back on their feet.
Hope you.re well too.
S.

JohnRoberts said:
captcha works, but a little too well sometimes, if the degree of difficulty is set high.

JR

works only for amateurs, there are always ways around it, not that difficult either!

JohnRoberts said:
captcha works, but a little too well sometimes, if the degree of difficulty is set high.

captcha...how to prove you are note a machine by acting like a machine... :eek:

zamproject said:
JohnRoberts said:

the other end is a machine too  ;)

JohnRoberts said:
zamproject said:
JohnRoberts said:

If machines could easily read that there wouldn't be captcha.

JR

Yes... that's the parodox of captcha. in the mean time i'm sure machine can read it.. if well trained (with captcha  :p )
what I mean is when a machine? ask me without choices ? to copy and past ?  a text ? I just feel acting like a machine
It's so basic there is no if..then..ifelse..else...do  when "reply" to a captcha, just "do"

There is also another "issue" for me,
how to use million of human work hours time for free by "decrypting" old scanned manuscript ...to sell them when decrypted...

Best
Zam

For a group like ours I think captcha is unnecessary. I run a yahoo group for Kicad users. All new members are automatically moderated. I determine if their first post is from a human  before allowing it to be posted.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
For a group like ours I think captcha is unnecessary. I run a yahoo group for Kicad users. All new members are automatically moderated. I determine if their first post is from a human  before allowing it to be posted.

Cheers

ian
I would (unfortunately) have to disagree. While I certainly appreciate that captcha is a nuisance, new users are only subjected to it for their first 3 posts (during times when there's a wave of incoming spam) and its decreased to just 1 post during good times.  Trying to moderate every new user's post would be  tough to do in a timely fashion.  The smarter bots are pretty good at OCRing the captcha.  Then there are the hybrid bots--human registers and passes all the obscure tests, then programmatically posts spam. It's 2016, does spam really still work as an effective marketing tool?  :eek:

Ethan said:
ruffrecords said:

Cheers

ian
It's 2016, does spam really still work as an effective marketing tool?  :eek:
Sadly it must, or the F'ers would stop doing it.

We could kill email spam over night by charging $0.001 postage per email.

Spamming forums with links continue to be a hassle.

JR

PS: I wonder if links could be blocked from new forum members for X time/posts?

Whoops said:
JohnRoberts said:
PS: I wonder if links could be blocked from new forum members for X time/posts?
that would be a great idea
What if it's a legit new user wondering why he can't post a link?

Doing this might also delay when we discover that the user is a spammer. For instance, a user may post what seems to be reasonably intelligible text, but then link to bet-on-horses(.)net. He may do this several times, and when the time limit is up, we then have 6 posts with spammy links, where we might have squashed him at the first 1-2 posts.

A problem as old as the interwebs, but no elegant solution.

That reminds me...a while back I thought about integrating an  "are you a human" script instead of captcha, which presents you with a short game.  For example, you might have to click and  drag a basketball into a hoop. Might be more enjoyable but I guess it's really just a different kind of captcha.

Back