When the plan doesn’t go as planned…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like they miscalculated the power of those home made IEDs....they put them inside a containment vessel and it did not contain them, becoming instead a truck bomb. Maybe should have done a small test explosion or two.

Maybe that was the test blow. They seized several thousand pounds of illegal commercial fireworks. Could have been worse.

17 people injured by that intentionally triggered, controlled explosion.

JR

I am wondering why they decided to set any of it off in the first place, I just assumed they would have doused the materials in water or other substance to prevent any explosion and disposed of them in a less crowded area.

They had a ballistic containment vessel in the back of their truck, but obviously miscalculated how powerful those IEDs were. They x-rayed some and felt that they were unstable, so unsafe to transport them out to somewhere safer (like the dessert).

We may learn that those IEDs contained more powerful explosives than typical fireworks.

JR

Couldn't they have soaked the stuff in water, droven it into the desert and exploded it there the next day?
The news report says they X-rayed some of the IEDs and they looked unstable, likely making them unsafe to transport.

The thousands of pounds of illegal fireworks (not bombs) will likely be moved from the residential area if deemed stable enough to transport.

JR

Couldn't they have soaked the stuff in water, droven it into the desert and exploded it there the next day?
It seems that the explosive ordnance disposal teams there are not very experienced in their job. An expert here in Brandenburg just shook his head when asked and said these guys wouldn't last a week here.

I don't want to get too close to anyone, but it looked like someone who can't do math was in charge. I am sure that an investigation will show that serious mistakes were made here. Imagine if this had been an adult explosive device, such as a 1000kg WWII aerial bomb, which the Bomb Squads here still dig up and disarm almost daily.

If they can no longer be defused, they are sometimes detonated in a controlled manner in a residential area. There is seldom anything that happens, a few windows may get broken. Practice makes perfect.

I hope the injured recover quickly and completely!

It is easy in hindsight to second guess that bomb squad's apparent mistake. I will wait for a follow up report on what the explosive media was inside those modest IEDs.

Again glad that no one was killed.

JR

Latest posts

Back