Which core material for audio purposes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryG

Hello,

Like others here I am going to try my hand at winding my own output transformers for tube amps I make. In the past I had them made per my specification using M6 core material, but recently saw tests that showed Z11 to be better, and another persons opinion is that Z9 is better than Z11. And what about Mu metals, what is up with them, will they work even better?

My question is what is better than M6 E core, and why? Does each material have advantages and disadvantages?

Terry

Last edited:
The main differences between the steel and mu metal is that mu metal has a higher permeability so you get more inductance for a given core size. Mu metal also produces less distortion at mid frequencies but more below 100Hz.

Cheers

Ian

I am curious what anyone knows about Z9 and Z11. Someone shared one thread on one forum where Z11 was shown to be a little better than M6 having more inductance, shown in the link below:

https://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/transformer-steel-m6-vs-z11.11388/
The biggest most obvious difference between Z9 and Z11 is that Z9 laminations are thinner. Thinner laminations are said to help reduce eddies reducing losses, but what that means for distortion, and inductance I do not know.

Back