Whistle Rock Audio ML12 preamp BUILD/HELP thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, great job! Picked up a bunch of these PCBs a few years ago intending to do something similar but never got round to it, you've inspired me to bump it up the build queue.

Nice to know that all 8 definitely fit in a Frank case. :)

Hey, great job! Picked up a bunch of these PCBs a few years ago intending to do something similar but never got round to it, you've inspired me to bump it up the build queue.

Nice to know that all 8 definitely fit in a Frank case. :)
For each case I used 42 m3 6mm Harwin R30-3000602 standoffs for the cards to give output transformer clearance. Cards 1 & 8. The outside edge standoffs rest on the side rails of Frank's NRG case, so I went with 6 m3 Harwin R30-3000502 5mm standoffs there. Also the screws on the sides of the case come into contact with the cards causing a potential short. Those have to cut short with a dremel, as well as above the channel 1 attenuator. I opted for the Hairball 1/8" shaft 600 ohm t-pad there. If using attenuator capaciotr C6 has to be short enough to fit the pot above it on the panel. Tight tolerances in those areas with this configuration. Cards are further secured to Frank's rail system from above the boards with 24 m3 Harwin R30-1002802 28mm standoffs. The remaining standoffs are secured with m3 nuts. As an option you could use 34mm standoffs to reach the top panel of the NRG case to secure the boards. I went with terminal blocks as molex connectors are in short supply when I was putting together the bom. Although, with this configuration of the cards stacked right next to each other wiring will be a challenge with the terminals blocks. Back of the case is connected to power suppy using a Aviator 5 pin cb style connector. One could opt for a 5 pin xlr as well. Here are the panel designs for an NRG case from Frank. You can use as you see fit. Rename extention fpd.

Attachments

• 1U NRG 3128.txt
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1U NRG Enclosure Rearpanel 3128.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for taking the time to share that, both the info and the templates - it's incredibly helpful to be able to follow in someone else's footsteps on something like this.

If I understand right, the cards are suspended from the mounting rails but also have standoffs on the bottom to maintain distance from the bottom of the case, is that right? Neat idea, good way to maximise the space in there.

I set up this board to be a 8ch line level to mic level attenuator board for my new rack unit. It will have 4 12 position terminal strips for wiring to analog tascam pinout for in's and out's. The circuit is a balanced u-pad. I'll get a few made if anybody wants one. The circuit presents a 10k load to line level device and a 178ohm load to preamp input transformer providing 35dB attenuation.

Attachments

• IMG_4778[1].JPG
    IMG_4778[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 3128 Line To MIc Level Attenuator Board.jpg
    3128 Line To MIc Level Attenuator Board.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 1
I set up this board to be a 8ch line level to mic level attenuator board for my new rack unit. It will have 4 12 position terminal strips for wiring to analog tascam pinout for in's and out's. The circuit is a balanced u-pad. I'll get a few made if anybody wants one. The circuit presents a 10k load to line level device and a 178ohm load to preamp input transformer providing 35dB attenuation.
I'd be intererested in a couple.

Attachments

• 3128 Line To MIc Level Attenuator Schematic.jpg
    3128 Line To MIc Level Attenuator Schematic.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 1
  • Balanced U-Pad Schematic.jpg
    Balanced U-Pad Schematic.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
  • D-Sub Pinout.png
    D-Sub Pinout.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It will be a couple week turn around at that point if you want to pay postage + what ever the cost per board may be probably a couple bucks I'll mail you a couple. Good way to fatten up digital samples and synth through your new preamps.
Just give me an idea about how much it will be. Where are you shipping from?

$5.00 per board ENIG Surface Finish. $10.00 shipping priority flat rate envelope. From Austin, Texas. The whole project should cost around $50.00 to make one 8 channel box. Not including the d25 breakout cables. Just ordered 5 be here in 8 to 10 days.

Last edited:
Line Pad boards showed up. They look nice. Also been wiring up the 3128. Getting close. Everything is coming together. Hopefully get my neighbor Ramy Antoun that owns the A&F Drum company to run some custom drums mic'd up to them.

Attachments

• IMG_4795[1].JPG
    IMG_4795[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4796[1].JPG
    IMG_4796[1].JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4797[1].JPG
    IMG_4797[1].JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back