Why Aren't More People Interested In Cloning A Sony C37A?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Hufker

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of this design to answer the question myself. There are tons of AKG and Neumann clone discussions here, and even Schoeps and Sony C800, but why not the C37A? It certainly enjoys a fine reputation. The tubes seem to be available (and cheap)... I'm guessing a capsule might be purchased from Sony... Please educate me!

Barry there are the Tonelux, Mojave and Manley clones or semi clones. I build a version of this capsule. Honestly in my opinion this is just a "meh" sounding mic. JJ Blair has mentioned it makes a good tom tom mic and Jimi Hendrix preferred it as a vocal mic. If you had a roomful of great sounding mics I don't believe you would pick the Sony over the classic mics you mention. They seemed to have grown in popularity and price in the last years based on their scarcity and that they are vintage tube microphones. You could easily build a better sounding mic.

I think the C37A is quite a nice sounding mic. Maybe not as immediately exciting as a U47 or C12, but very very vibey and musical sounding. They just "work" on a number of sources.

I would love a DIY pair of these.

Perhaps @soliloqueen would consider doing a run of capsules? (Hopefully after the C800G :))

I think it’s a great mic and another lovely colour to add to the palette. I love Neumann’s and AKG’s but I love darker tones too.

Maybe this is off topic but I really love the sound of the C38. I wonder how different are the capsules ? The electronics are obv very different... but if you need a condenser mic that can take a lot of SPL and still sound round / warm and very un agressive this is a great pick. Works wonder on loud amp and snare, for instance.
Maybe Tim can chime in regarding the capsule design.

The Tonelux copy is getting press of late, so despite what @Tim Campbell said, obviously some people do like the Sony and its copies, and choose it even when they have many great mics to choose from!

Barry there are the Tonelux, Mojave and Manley clones or semi clones. I build a version of this capsule. Honestly in my opinion this is just a "meh" sounding mic. JJ Blair has mentioned it makes a good tom tom mic and Jimi Hendrix preferred it as a vocal mic. If you had a roomful of great sounding mics I don't believe you would pick the Sony over the classic mics you mention. They seemed to have grown in popularity and price in the last years based on their scarcity and that they are vintage tube microphones. You could easily build a better sounding mic.
I would add to this that except for Classical engineers, most these days don't want a flat response mic (especially for vocals), and the C37A is very flat. Does Neumann or AKG have an LDC that's that flat?

In the early days of stereo, Decca never used the U47 for Operatic voices; only the M49 due to it's much flatter response. After a few years they switched to SDCs for Opera voices (usually KM84 with it's crazy-flat response), but used M49 for choirs and brass spots.

I've pointed it out before, but the cover of the Kingston Trio's "Here We Go Again" is a great illustration: U47s on the voices for euphonic coloration, and C37As on the instruments to present their timbre accurately.

Attachments

• KT.png
    KT.png
    795.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Freq response.jpg
    Freq response.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I love the C37, or the Mojave Ma37, on string sections as overheads. Lush but also detailed. They take the stridency of violins. Also make great VO (original purpose) and room mics for drums. Under-appreciated in my opinion. Vocal mics get all the glory, but there are so many other fantastic mics, like the C37.

An endearing image, with the microphone in question...
Ahh - that's great never seen that one.

The photo on the cover of Sinatra & Strings was always a head-scratcher; it's clearly nothing to do with that studio-recorded album. It seems pretty clearly a shot of him from a live concert (probably Vegas) - what could possibly have been behind the decision to have him use a C37A as a hand-held mic? It was probably on one of those 'pull-off' stand mounts and on a stand most of the time, but still . . .

Attachments

• Sinatra n Strings cover.jpg
    Sinatra n Strings cover.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would imagine that after all these years, surviving C37As probably sound quite different from each other, as with U47s.
k brown I repair a fair amount of C37 capsules and when done right they have an exact original frequency response.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about the ins and outs of this design to answer the question myself. There are tons of AKG and Neumann clone discussions here, and even Schoeps and Sony C800, but why not the C37A? It certainly enjoys a fine reputation. The tubes seem to be available (and cheap)... I'm guessing a capsule might be purchased from Sony... Please educate me!
My own obsession with the C37A is purely with it's visual esthetic; I think it's the most handsome mass-produced mic ever made (Tele ELA M 251 a very close second).

I chronicled one of my inspired-by builds here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/bm700-body-modded-to-a-c-37a-look.82636/#post-1068446

And, a photo of the other one (a modified Calrad DM15 crystal mic) .:sneaky:

Attachments

• C37k LDC.jpeg
    C37k LDC.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CalradDM15030313e.jpg
    CalradDM15030313e.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back