Winding my own output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonasnoble

GDIY Supporter
Hey guys, spent another few minutes on the phone with Cinemag yesterday, and I'm about to place another order. I haven't received my last order yet though, and I'm getting antsy.

I was hoping CJ would pop back in and sell me a couple of his fat ones, but alas it hasn't happened. So I've begun collecting materials to wind my own. There's a guy I follow on YouTube and Patreon called Delatsch who has a winding calculator app and I'm just about ready to go.

Those of you who've done this, how far out of my depth am I? I'm sure it's not as simple as "wind the wire around the bobbin", but is it going to take years before I get something usable?

And I started with EI100 laminations. Why is it so hard to find a bobbin that size? Any ideas where I could source more parts?

PS, I really have trouble with the search function returning anything I'm looking for, so I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum.

Hey guys, spent another few minutes on the phone with Cinemag yesterday, and I'm about to place another order. I haven't received my last order yet though, and I'm getting antsy.

I was hoping CJ would pop back in and sell me a couple of his fat ones, but alas it hasn't happened. So I've begun collecting materials to wind my own. There's a guy I follow on YouTube and Patreon called Delatsch who has a winding calculator app and I'm just about ready to go.

Those of you who've done this, how far out of my depth am I? I'm sure it's not as simple as "wind the wire around the bobbin", but is it going to take years before I get something usable?

And I started with EI100 laminations. Why is it so hard to find a bobbin that size? Any ideas where I could source more parts?

PS, I really have trouble with the search function returning anything I'm looking for, so I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum.
surely there are more qualified people here than me, but -

I have had very limited forays into winding my own transformers. wading through bobbin manufacturers data sheets was mind numbing and basically impossible for my brain, so I elected to 3D print mine. If you have a basic understanding of CAD programs, this is almost certainly the easiest/quickest/cheapest way to go about it, so long as you use filament with a reasonable glass transition point.

physically winding a basic transformer is not the most physically demanding task but it is monotonous. how easy doing the prep work is will depend on how comfortable you are with math, i have used the delatsch calculators and they were very helpful

i use tans calc and z-transformers on my phone to do the simple calcs. both apps are totally free with no adds or nag screens.
the physical winding i do on my lathe using a pulse counter to count the turns (£5 uk from fleabay)the pulse counter is intended for a knitting machineto count the rows done

Thanks @grid_stopper and @kldvox

I'm sure I'll run into things I have questions about.

so I elected to 3D print mine...
I will probably try my hand at that eventually. I have a friend at work who's already test printed some small thingiverse bobbins on his home machines.

i use tans calc and z-transformers on my phone to do the simple calcs. both apps are totally free with no adds or nag screens.
the physical winding i do on my lathe using a pulse counter to count the turns (£5 uk from fleabay)the pulse counter is intended for a knitting machineto count the rows done
That sounds amazing, and I'll look into it. I ordered one of those cheap Chinese hand winders to play with and had plans to buy an automated one if winding transformers is something I can figure out and enjoy.

I'm having trouble finding any info on "tans calc and z-transformers" though.

I figured it out when you said Google Play. iPhone doesn't have those apps, and when I Google searched I found many things not related to the apps you mentioned. I have an old tablet at home, I will try to put those on there. Thanks!

I figured it out when you said Google Play. iPhone doesn't have those apps, and when I Google searched I found many things not related to the apps you mentioned. I have an old tablet at home, I will try to put those on there. Thanks!

ask for a shitty and old android tablet from a friend, you can even get one for 5 bucks somewhere for sure. Or ask a friend for an old android phone

Those of you who've done this, how far out of my depth am I?

not far.
If you have documents for the winding structure and number of turns and if you have all the parts needed (correct coil wire sizes, lams and bobbin) and if you have a Winding device of some sort then it's pretty easy.

I'm sure it's not as simple as "wind the wire around the bobbin",

Yes it is.
If you have what i wrote above then it's just that, nothing more.

The difficult part is if you want to design your own transformer, then you need to know much more.
But if you're winding a known transformer and if you have the documentation then it's easy

but is it going to take years before I get something usable?

I bought a cheap China manual Winder, and I got something really useful from the first one I ever winded.

That's the difficult part, to find a supplier that sells the Lams, coil wire and Bobbins in the low amounts we need. Most suppliers only sell big quantities.
Like 20Kg of Lams minimum.

Edcor used to sell Lams and Bobbins but unfortunately they don't do it any longer.

I have a very good stock of Coil Wire in different sizes now, but I can't buy Lams or Bobbins anywhere.

For Bobbins it's easier now, if it's an Audio transformer I can 3D print it in ABS (withstands higher temperature) but even PLA is completely fine for Audio.
As for Power transformers they can get quite warm so for those I don't go the 3D print rout as I'm afraid even ABS would deform overtime.

Anybody else wound any of CJ's bass DI outputs? That's really what I'm trying to get to, and I've cobbled together just enough info to be dangerous. I might just try with partial knowledge and see what happens.

I made a footswitch for my lathe, a rev counter with a photocell, and control the wire either by hand or with a fixture on the longitudinal feeder. The autofeed is way too fast for thin wire, so I mainly hand crank it.
I agree with Whoops, the hard part is not so much the actual winding, that mainly takes practice and focus. The hard part is designing/calculating, I've been reading up on the math and getting very valuable help here on gdiy.
Just downloaded the calculators on my phone, so I'm going look into those.
For materials I've had very good success with using old transformers from the scrapyard or my local Craigslist equivalent. I can often get old lams with formers for just a few bucks. Of course you have take them apart, which is a bit tedious. Avoid the ones that are entirely soaked in glue or varnish, they are a fair bit of work.
I have a set of lovely old M120 lams looking at me from the shelf for some big OPTs one day;-)
Old-style bobbins can be made from compressed paper board "Pertinax" that's available in sheets from your local electronics wholesaler...
I use kapton/polyimide tape as insulation, mainly because I already had a few rolls on the 3d printer shelf.
Good luck;-)

Edcor still sells laminations and bobbins.

Nice, thanks for letting us know
They stopped selling bobbins and lams for some years, it's great that they're selling those parts again.

I don't know any other easy source for Lams, but if someone knows please let use know.

Edcor doesn't sell to Europe and also the shipping plus custom duties would be prohibiting for me to buy lams from them, I', still looking for a source in Europe

Fair enough. I ordered mine off eBay. 29M6 ei100. Just over 4"(10cm), for around $60. That's why I'm hoping I can get 4 of these transformers out of it.

I sourced bobbins yesterday from a manufacturer, minimum order qty of 100, and they're $1.79 each. Once I know exactly what size I need I'll just bite the bullet and buy a batch.

Still need some bells, tape, and paper, but that should be easy. (I hope) and my cheap China winder should be here any day now.

I don't know any other easy source for Lams, but if someone knows please let use know.

Edcor doesn't sell to Europe and also the shipping plus custom duties would be prohibiting for me to buy lams from them, I', still looking for a source in Europe
delatsch sells lams in small quantities/is located in europe. choices are limited, but the option is there!

https://www.delatsch.com/product/e-i-transformer-laminations/

Hi everyone! i've done my first transformer using the Delatsch app.
i've tried to make a 10kct:600 transformer, but i don't really know how to interpret the center tap. i have to split the 10k into two 5k or as a two 10k windings?
thank you!
i've bought everything from italtras, they're great, they respond fast to emails and very fast shipping here in Italy. i strongly suggest them

Latest posts

Back