• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB: 500k RV4 type log potentiometer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron_swanson

Hello,

I'm looking for a 500K single turn, solder lug, log ( audio ) taper, RV4 potentiometer NOS / unused A&B, Ohmite or other quality build for guitar amp build. Will consider multiples. Shipping to San Francisco, CA.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi scott2000,

Yeah, I hear you, but if you are willing to pay $50 a pop for a NOS A&B there are at least one or two retailers out there who are selling. I was hoping that I could find someone with a stash who might be willing let go of one or two. Not expecting to get something like this for a few bucks, but $50 a pop for a pot is 1%er prices.

Curious what you are looking for that a new pot doesn't have? There are 24mm panel mount, solder lug, carbon plain shaft pots from Bournes or Alpha. I don't have any problems with these in tube amp builds. Just curious about "NOS RV4"

Curious what you are looking for that a new pot doesn't have? There are 24mm panel mount, solder lug, carbon plain shaft pots from Bournes or Alpha. I don't have any problems with these in tube amp builds. Just curious about "NOS RV4"
Well, obviously no real reason other than I prefer these for this situation. This is for a mid-sixties restoration guitar amp.

OOPS! I missed the log/audio taper portion in the original posting.

PEC does show a variety of taper options:

http://precisionelectronics.com/files/Series-RV4-Military.pdf
Who stocks the varieties...I have no idea.

I maintain the vacuum tube based system from Doug Sax's (RIP) Mastering Lab lacquer cutting equipment. I recently replaced multiple A-B carbon pots with essentially equivalent RV4 pots from PEC (PEI??). Same form factor as the old pots (which may have been NOS when the amp was originally built decades ago). Digikey had stock for the required values but thinking back, I think all were linear taper.

Bri

Ahh.. Yeah I was going to ask what special search parameters you could share that maybe I didn't use. That would've been exciting. But then I saw the linear and thought, maybe they are useful anyway..

To sidetrack, I see some sfernice P11 pots are being stocked... Never used them but have read about them in the past before. Look pretty nice.

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-co...heostats/potentiometers/?m=Vishay&series=P11S

I really recommend you Tocos RV24 potentiometers. 24mm body diameter should match RV4 size.

They are good quality sealed pots and have a better rotation feel than PEC and old Allen Bradleys.

I had a limited experience with PEC but in two occasions I had a pot becoming scratchy after little use.
After I tried the Tocos I never looked back.

Here in EU they are around 10 euro a piece, not cheap but very good quality. I am not sure who sells them in USA

Well it's not "obvious" to me what a RV4 pot has or even what makes it different than others that are available today. Just an old mil-spec?

The power rating for RV4 potentiometers is 2W but that really isn't necessary for guitar amp use

Reactions: dmp

Latest posts

Back