• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Original UREI 1178 frontpanel & knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonoCutter

Hi,

i'll start my 1178 clone project soon and need a few parts. Let me know if you have something to offer + price and shipping to Germany.

Thanks,
Dennis

I did a front plate design I could send you for Schaeffer AG in Germany.
I am just about finishing it off right now...

The knobs I got directly from China as the obvious choice "Analog Classics" shop in the USA couldn't or wouldn't deliver for two months:
Yueqing Omter Electronic & Technology Co.,LTD
Tel: +86-577-27811881
Fax: +86-577-62591280
E-mail: [email protected]

1178 frontplate.jpg

Roger

Last edited:
Bought the same Knobs from Omter. The price was about 200 USD incl Importfees for about 60 Knobs.... They look very authenically but the quality is not as good as from original UREI. But at this price they are a nobrainer...

Attachments

• KYZ18-18-6.4  1176 drawing.jpg
    KYZ18-18-6.4 1176 drawing.jpg
    124.8 KB
  • KYP42-20-6.4尺寸图.jpg
    KYP42-20-6.4尺寸图.jpg
    120.7 KB
  • knob series  (1).jpg
    knob series (1).jpg
    97.2 KB
  • PXL_20211006_132632004.jpg
    PXL_20211006_132632004.jpg
    103.8 KB
  • PXL_20211007_143733591.jpg
    PXL_20211007_143733591.jpg
    189.7 KB
Hairball doesn't have the big knobs for In/Out of the 1178 unfortunately. I've used the Hairball ones for my LA-3A clone and quality-wise they look about the same as the Omter ones ;-)

I can only recommend them as the response as well as delivery has been incredibly fast.

Attachments

• 1178 front.jpg
    1178 front.jpg
    242.5 KB
  • 1178 inside.jpg
    1178 inside.jpg
    309.8 KB
Hairball doesn't have the big knobs for In/Out of the 1178 unfortunately. I've used the Hairball ones for my LA-3A clone and quality-wise they look about the same as the Omter ones ;-)

I can only recommend them as the response as well as delivery has been incredibly fast.
Really nice compressor! Where did you get that pcb?

Thanks!
I did the PCB myself.

Original schematics out of the 1178 manual with the exception of using two single FET's instead of the 5566.
When doing the PCB I believed the 5566 not to be available anymore... which is actuall not true I just found that the IFN5566 to be available.

The 2N5457 I use now aren't really working as expected so I'll try J113's next...
if that doesn't do the trick I'll buy the IFN5566 and install it as a makeshift on my PCB.

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks!
I did the PCB myself.

Original schematics out of the 1178 manual with the exception of using two single FET's instead of the 5566.
When doing the PCB I believed the 5566 not to be available anymore... which is actuall not true I just found that the IFN5566 to be available.

The 2N5457 I use now aren't really working as expected so I'll try J113's next...
if that doesn't do the trick I'll buy the IFN5566 and install it as a makeshift on my PCB.

Cheers,
Roger
Amazing, would be great if you share the process with the community here!

Sure, will do!

The 2N5457 is used in many 1176 clones and I somehow believed that it would be OK to use in an 1178...
But the Transconductance, static resistance Rds and Vgs are rather different to the original NPD5566 dual-fet therefore the ratios don't really match the original.
The J113 I should be able to test in about two weeks...

Roger

Really nice project! Any possibilities that you share the PCB? I would like to do one myself. Also where did you get the transformers?

Thank you

Thanks! Sure - how would you like it? PDF or KiCAD file?

When I started the project I planned to use the Hairball EA-11148 but found that availability wasn't until 2023 according to Mike...
so I started another web search and was very lucky to find a pair of original ones in a hifi / repair shop in Boston "Audioproz.com" for the price of the Hairball ones!

Again - really bummed I didn't do the PCB for the dual IFN5566 as it seems easily available at mouser.com

Really nice project! Any possibilities that you share the PCB? I would like to do one myself. Also where did you get the transformers?

Thank you
You can also have a look out for older urei equalizers (537, 539, ...). I bought two 537 on ebay last year for 35€ each. They have these transformers + original power transformer for the 1178 + a perfect case. I used mine for the 1176 rev j instead of the LL5402.

Attachments

• IMG_20211122_133106.jpg
    IMG_20211122_133106.jpg
    92.5 KB
I have a original 1178 frontplate but will need it myself for my 1178 projekt. But if anyone would want a scan of the original one for reference I could use the large flatbed scanner at work. Also have the original 1176 rev j front panel.

But if anyone i looking I have some original output transformers as well as some original modutec VUs to spare. As mentioned above the these will work for the later revisions of 1176 that dont use the 0-12 input transformer as well.

ps. Lovely to see that there is interest ones again in the 1178! Since Grinders old Symetric FET project is no longer alive, perhaps its time to start a new project together? Perhaps TheRog would be kind to start a thread about your project as a starting point? Very interested in knowing where you found the dual layer push button decks or if you made those your self?

Last edited:
Bought the same Knobs from Omter. The price was about 200 USD incl Importfees for about 60 Knobs.... They look very authenically but the quality is not as good as from original UREI. But at this price they are a nobrainer...
Amazing information! Do you remember what the minimum order was for each type or was it only a minimum order of the total amount of knobs?

Amazing information! Do you remember what the minimum order was for each type or was it only a minimum order of the total amount of knobs?
There was not any minimum quantity. But they delivered it as "samples" and so I had to declare it correctly for custom / import fees . The delivery price was also very high. You could start a group buy. I built 8 * 19" 1176 and 2x 500' 1176 Fets and so I have needed about 60 Knobs. With about 100 pieces of knobs I think you could decrease the price under 3 Euros/pp.

Hi guys

here's my front plate dxf as well as KiCAD layout attached.

Again I'd change the layout for the ifn5566 Dual-FET as I couldn't find a FET that works as the original.
I tried the 2N5457 - ratios aren't as steep as should eg 4:1 is like 2:1 and so on...
I tried J113 - quite nice on the 4:1 and 20:1 but 12:1& 8:1 were almost identical...

Cheers

@ theRog, it´s very generous to publish your complete work. Thank´s a lot!!!

It´d make sense to move this information into it´s own thread, maybe in the lab or the dynamic processor section of this board, so that everyone searching for infos about it has a chance to actually find it. Most people don´t search in the black Market for project specific information.

I want to add that while it´s very generous to release all information into the wild, it´s most likely that some troll will use your PCB layout and make money out of your work. This happened here before a lot of times. If you don´t care then fine, but if you care then you´d better find a more secure way to distribute your informations.

Back