• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Wtb Pultec x formers and inductor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianschwartz

Hi, I got one of those old Drip pcbs from a friend, he never built the project.
Wanted to avoid customs ordering from Sowter, or just save money, so if there is anyone in Europe selling compatible transformers and inductor, hit me up, sowter or not.

Input
Output
Inductor and interstage

Thanks!

I’ve never had user feedback regarding UTM inductors in comparison with the other usual suspects.

I emailed Cinemag for info & prices.

I know Don Audio has a house brand now, too

I’ve never had user feedback regarding UTM inductors in comparison with the other usual suspects.

I emailed Cinemag for info & prices.

I know Don Audio has a house brand now, too
We have built clones on vintage datatronix inductors, Cinemag inductors, utc's.. I would not hesitate to try the UTM - especially at the prices. Cinemag stuff is really nice, and Dave is the nicest guy on the planet. You really can't go wrong either/any way.

We are giving UTM a go on an upcoming project. I will keep everyone posted on that. We are trying to think of something we could clone, vs something we have originals of here to compare on the R&S UPD and by ear. Then there is finding the time between real projects to actually do a "fun" project.

Keep in mind some great audio stuff has come out of Poland and Polish minds!! Nagra leaps to mind, and another brand I am not going to mention to keep prices where they belong. The Nagras were made in Switzerland, but designed and engineered by a very Polish Mr. Kudelski. They likely made their own transformers too, not a Nagra guy - but a fair assumption based on other gear from Europe from the 50's on.

Last edited:
Wow, ok, don't make me say what I didn't say :)
I've used UTM transformers and I am very happy with them, and very happy about the communication with Igor.
I was just saying that I have never had any user feedback on the UTM inductors. That's all. I don't doubt they are well built, and I know they are cheap.
It's just that inductors have a sound depending on what core is used, what wire, what wiring method etc etc.
I am building Pultec clones and I am looking for TONE and not simply correct mathematical values.
I have heard many praises about the Cinemag and Vintage Windings inductors in Pultec builds.

So many inductor and transformer options on Pultec builds. They all undoubtedly "sound good" but how do they sound compared to the originals and to each other?

The only way to know for sure would be to AB in circuit and choose based on preference. Which is costly in time and money.

What about Moby?

So many inductor and transformer options on Pultec builds.

Really? which ones do you know?
As far as transformers I only know the options from Cinemag and Sowter, if you know more option please let me know, I'm looking for alternatives

They all undoubtedly "sound good" but how do they sound compared to the originals and to each other?

And how do 2 original units sound compared to one another?
Do you think they will sound the same?

Sowter and Cinemag do very high quality transformers, if they offer transformers for Pultec it's because they are able to do it properly otherwise they would not sell it.

What about Moby?

Moby does small microphone output transformers only, it's his niche and passion.
He also does it in small quantities

Really? which ones do you know?
As far as transformers I only know the options from Cinemag and Sowter, if you know more option please let me know, I'm looking for alternatives

Moby lists Pultec Transformers on his site, I don't know if it is a bulk buy. Also there are 4 manufactures of 500 series solid state versions that are available. So that's 7 different types of iron to compare to the original (if we include SS)
And how do 2 original units sound compared to one another?
I've used pairs, I did not notice difference in sound. I did not critically listen to the same program over each unit or use them in stereo. Normally reserved for Kick, Snare or Vocal too special for stereo applications.
Do you think they will sound the same?
I'd be confident to say that transformers of the same manufacture, windings and material will sound the same. There is multiple factors that may change the circuit sound. I can say that I did not like the sound of a Tube-Tech PE 1C as much and this was in the same room. I don't know if that was the transformers, inductor or circuit design. It looks like a EQP 1A but does not sound the same and my opinion was inferior.

Sowter and Cinemag do very high quality transformers, if they offer transformers for Pultec it's because they are able to do it properly otherwise they would not sell it.

Different types / manufactures Transformers all sound different. I'm not saying good or bad, I'm just saying different. Have you ever critically listened to different transformers without any other circuit in place? If you haven't give it a go and you will understand my point.

This is maybe the wrong place to debate this further. I'd be really interested to see how you get on and what you use.

Last edited:
Moby lists Pultec Transformers on his site, I don't know if it is a bulk buy.

Actually even though Moby is my friend and we talk regularly I didn't know he had Pultec Transformers, I can see in his webpage that he offers the input and interstage transformer. That's great and thanks for letting us know.
That can be useful to "damianschwartz"

I'm actually looking for an Output transformer for a Pultec, and would like to know alternatives to Cinemag and Sowter, just to check my options.

It would be great if UTM also had their own take on the Pultec output transformer.

Also there are 4 manufactures of 500 series solid state versions that are available. So that's 7 different types of iron to compare to the original (if we include SS)

A Pultec, that's the unit we are referring here it's not solid state, it has a Tube amplifier.
That's the unit the OP's is inquiring about, because the Drip pcb and project it's an high quality faithful recreation of the Pultec EQ.

So as far as the output transformer goes (the original Peerless is rare and quite expensive) I only know of 2 options at the moment.

As for the other personal opinions you wrote I don't agree with them so I will not discuss that further, it's not relevant to the Op's inquire and there's no need to hijack this thread.

As far as I know, input transformer is 1:1 and output is 2:1 or even 4:1 in some builds.
I'm going for a SS version with Altec octal preamps. I've used them successfully on many tube builds and they really sound great, they can be easily swapped and they are not super expensive. I'm going 15335(A) on the input, and 15356 on the output. Since the unit will be true bypass, I can set up the makeup amp the way I want.

I've emailed Moby regarding inductors, but also in, out and interstages transformers @damianschwartz

Thanks a lot to all of you! all very helpful, i did talk to Igor which was great since i will order a custom power xformer for my Ampex atr102 too (mine went dead) but as said, he doesn't offer exact trafos for the pultec, rather some suitable options, but i guess he can custom build some. He has though some inductor option, not sure if it's the same, but it's really cheap compared to Sowter.

Can you tell me what is Mobys page?? EDIT
Quick find of moby's page in google, @thomasdf lmk what he says about inductors and count me in if the price is reasonable. Is moby located in EU?

Last edited:
I recently built a pair using @rainton's chassis, using Sowters on input and output and a Hammond 832A as the interstage. The Hammond works beautifully here, and although I am not fortunate enough to have and original to A/B against, I am preferring it to any of my Pultec plugins (mind you, some of that may be subconscious bias, and I have not bothered with any sort of null tests as I think that would be rather pointless anyway).

Anyway, if you are in the EU and are merely worried about the time it takes to receive a custom order (as opposed to cost), Don Audio has the same transformer set that I used available in stock as a bundle. EQP Transformer Bundle, Sowter Input, Output and Hammond Interstage,

I just found out that there's no input transformer inside my gPultec, as it's optional.
obviously its working.. but what am I missing out on, without it?
And what will happen if I install one?

Attachments

• tempImage59lXc5.png
    tempImage59lXc5.png
    12.8 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back