Yawn...another 1176 (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Fredrik"]BTW does anyone know where to get these nice classic looking knobs?[/quote]

don't know where you're located, but you can get them at www.musikding.de

[quote author="okgb"]
but can you solve world hunger ? [/quote]
I'll leave that to Mr. Bono.

Oh wait, that's world poverty!
[quote author="okgb"]what transformers did you use the cinemags from Ed [ thanks Ed & mako ] won't fit in a 1ru [/quote]
Got my Cinemags from Andrew after a little wait. They only require a little mod to fit in 1U. We like mods here, right?
[quote author="ChrioN"]Where did you get the sifam meters?[/quote]
Looked in the meta. This forum rocks!

[quote author="mnats"]
[quote author="ChrioN"]Where did you get the sifam meters?[/quote]
Looked in the meta. This forum rocks![/quote]

I know where I can get them, I just wanted to know where you got them. :grin: RS is expensive

[quote author="ChrioN"]I know where I can get them, I just wanted to know where you got them. :grin: RS is expensive[/quote]
I agree. The nice ladies at Canford sent them all the way to Oz for much less than the local RS warehouse would sell them to me for with "free" freight. Though as you can see I neglected to ask about the front mounting bezels. :mad:

[quote author="mnats"]Though as you can see I neglected to ask about the front mounting bezels. :mad:[/quote]

Nothing a little blue masking tape and some gloss black spray paint won't sort! Nice looking build, BTW. How did you do the front panel? I like the black on aluminum look.

Knobs like those can be had from Jameco and Radio Shack in the US. I bought a pile of them for use on a synth DIY project.

A P

A P -

I used the same technique for the front panel as I used on my first dual 1176. It was pretty much a happy accident; I was using a drawing program to mock up my front panels and decided to print it out and use them as templates to drill the holes. One time I used some cheap inkjet photo paper and stuck it down with some Scotch spray adhesive.

It looked pretty good, so after drilling the holes I bought some better paper and reprinted the panel design. After sticking it down (and waiting for the adhesive to dry - the solvents tend to interact) I sprayed the whole panel with some matte clear acrylic spray. Seems pretty durable and is a lot cheaper than most other options, but I doubt you'll ever see the technique used outside of DIY. Doesn't look too bad either...until you look at Steffen's stuff again.

Sooo, what would you say...you have both....

If you have the 1176D (with the trafos from Ed) what is the better choice for a second 1176 (new design): OEPs or Llhundals? I cannot decide which in & output trannies i should order for my Rev. J board.

[quote author="tomcat"]Sooo, what would you say...you have both....

If you have the 1176D (with the trafos from Ed) what is the better choice for a second 1176 (new design): OEPs or Llhundals? I cannot decide which in & output trannies i should order for my Rev. J board.[/quote]
Actually, no. I don't have both - the Lundahl 2U was built for a friend. But the OEP/Lundahl thing has been discussed many times here. Try a search...

Yes i know it has been discussed ;) I was just curious how the D and the newer with oep or llundhal compare.

Got my Cinemags from Andrew after a little wait. They only require a little mod to fit in 1U. We like mods here, right?

Could you tell a bit more about this? What kind of a mod? Any other tricks you had to do to make it fit in 1 unit? You seem too use very small spacers under the PCBs.

Beautiful build!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Miska

[quote author="guavatone"]Very Cool. No noise from that Tranny in the middle?[/quote]

I was curious about that too. I am trying to get 2 D's into Purusha's dual 1176 case and I'm thinking about stacking the boards. I suppose I'll just wire everything up and try moving around a bit to see what'll work. My case is 2 high, but a bit shallower than Mako's.

Cheers-

Josh

[quote author="JdJ"][quote author="guavatone"]Very Cool.  No noise from that Tranny in the middle?[/quote]

I was curious about that too.[/quote]

Put my ear right up to it but couldn't hear a thing!

Here's the old slam test revisited - the recording is of a steel door at the bottom floor of the underground parking garage on Union Street in San Francisco captured onto my Panasonic SV-255 DAT recorder using a battery powered DIY preamp using Jensen JE 115K-E transformers and a pair of Countryman lavalier omni microphones. The tape has eight seconds or so of silence, the door slam and the decay.

The tape was played on a Tascam DA-30 straight into the 1U dual Rev D 1176 with the gain reduction "off" in both channels and the input and output set at the midpoint. The balanced outputs went into the first two inputs of a MOTU Traveler interface with the -20dB pads on. So you're hearing the whole signal path for the first eight seconds of silence, then the slam.

2.8M 16 bit 48kHz .wav file

It's quiet enough for me, but others might be more critical.

Latest posts

Back