you want big caps cheap, we got big caps cheap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Spotted at a HAMfest today. 

20928061080_8b482dcf02_c.jpg

20928049310_0de0e41031_c.jpg

When I built my power amp (4x250W) back in the early '70s I used a bunch of that style (computer?) caps for my PS. I recall using copper clad for bus bars and literally bolted a bunch of them together.

In hindsight the copper clad was not very low Z, I did melt a bunch of solder on the copper. IIRC each cap was only 3750 uF but I stacked up several of them for each rail.

JR

2400 @ 450V is easily the largest value high voltage cap I've ever seen in person.  I could have acquired 30-40 of them, if I had an actual need of such a thing. 

Also seen:

I can’t decide about the useful/dumb ratio on the 12V car to binding post adapter.  At least one online description says there’s a 10A fuse.  So you shouldn’t be able to fuse a screwdriver to your wedding ring?  I guess a vehicle would have another fuse of some size between battery and outlet.
21157114962_f3b9584f7f_c.jpg

This may be the most elegant wire wound rheostat I’ve ever seen. 
21167370855_1db621c563_c.jpg

21157112802_7366ce09b9_c.jpg

> description says there’s a 10A fuse.  ... I guess a vehicle would have another fuse of some size between battery and outlet.

Car cigar-lighter circuits, at least since the 1961 Willys, have fuses. Usually 10A.

Often dedicated. Rarely, the clock or radio-memory is on the same fuse. (Not the radio play-power, since that's pushing 10A.)

They "have to", since users now stuff all kinds of things (except cigar-lighters) in these holes, then pinch the flimsy cords.

The plug itself "usually" has a fuse. Unscrew the end. The fuse does the job of the first inch of conductor out of the tip contact. Of course the car can not rely on an appropriate fuse in the plug.

The binding posts may have uses. I got a large 12V:110V inverter. It has a cigar-plug, but a note says that to use the full output (300W?) I *must* convert to hard-wire. If I just wanted a quick-test (I found it in a damp yard-sale) and didn't have that cigar adapter, I would want the thing in your picture.

I don't think that binding-cigar thingie is near as dangerous as the heavy lugs and wires they sell in all car-sound shops. 5,000 Watts that don't sag when the bass booms. Of course that's not as easy as the cigar-plug.

emrr said:
2400 @ 450V is easily the largest value high voltage cap I've ever seen in person.  I could have acquired 30-40 of them, if I had an actual need of such a thing.

I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 of those laying around. How much was each cap?

Back